Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:02 PM   #21

Do the English go in for what we Yanks do all summer? We have garage and yard sales where people put out all their trash with prices on it, waiting for someone to come along and buy it so they don't have to throw out perfectly decent trash. I picked up a great gooseneck desk lamp a couple of weeks ago for a couple of dollars, brought it home, and put a GE "Reveal" bulb in it--these are recular incandescent light bulbs that are tinted with a slightly purplish blue. It cuts down on the usual yellow-orange color.

Anyway, if you folks across the pond do such things too, you might find all kinds of great garbage that's perfect for photography. My son and I found a derby hat that's been figuring quite prominantly in a lot of pictures. Cost a dime.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:11 AM   #22

We have car boot sales over here Barbara but they are mainly outdoors and with the summer we're having the coastguard would have to attend. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:49 AM   #23

Wow - how interesting! Is the weather that bad? Or does the coast guard just look for a good yard sale, too?!?! Boot sale. I like that. My husband and I spend every Friday doing that and every Saturday attending estate sales a few summers ago. I made a few thousand on reselling on ebay but my husband just got two rooms full of kitchen stuff because he liked it (6 old toasters; blenders and ice crushers were his favorites!). When I moved in, he had some cleaning to do! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:01 AM   #24

Monkey, we're having one of those summers where we have more rain than sun.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:12 AM   #25

Us, too! Great for the garden and lawn - but it's impossible to mow or weed, so I guess there's a caveat! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote