Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:50 AM   #1

Presented without any comments as the original Good Old Days challenge required:

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:26 AM   #2

Hmmm. The first I would have guessed is your mother. but the two photos following don't match, since none of them look like her as a little girl. These are the two branches of your family (your grandparents and their children)- one Italian and sombre, the other quite English and well-to-do. So the one on top has to be your wife's mother. Now, where does that put your actor/uncle? I can't see that face in any of these. Unless he's the fair-headed lad on the left in the lower photo but that doesn't look right to me. are you laughing yet? :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:18 AM   #3

Monkey, your first guess on the top picture was the best guess - that one is my mother as a young girl, probably about 1939 or so.

The next shot is special to me. That one is a picture of my mother's mother and her siblings. So, my grandmother is the one in the left back row of the second picture. I never got to meet her siblings, my mother's aunts and uncles, since they never escaped from the USSR. Yes, this picture was of my grandmother and siblings from the Gomel, Belarus area from around 1915 or so. My grandmother came to the states trying to make the money to send for her siblings but it never happened. Two of the siblings died during the German invasion of Russia and the others lived out their lives there.

The last photo is my father's parents and his brother and sister. My father hadn't yet been born so this picture was taken around 1926 or so, probably in Connecticut.

The Italian/English connection was a good guess but not correct. All my ancestors emigrated here from Russia in the early 1900's.

My actor/uncle is not pictured in these shots. Here's one of him (he's in the sailor outfit):

Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:08 AM   #4

Lovely photos - even lovlier heritage! Thanks for sharing! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:19 PM   #5

Geoff, you and I have pretty much the same heritage, though my immediate family--that is, my father and his family--emigrated from Astrakhan because my great-greats decided to abandon Belarus sometime in the 1850's, leaving behind all their relatives for metalsmithing and caviar on the Caspian.

I've a photo of a great aunt who never came to America and who made it through the revolution and WWI only to disappear without a trace during WWII. I sometimes sit staring a her picture, wondering what happened to her and yet not really wanting to know at all.

Such poignancy in the photos of our immigrant ancestors, isn't there?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 2:47 PM   #6

Hi Barbara! I think that it is a pretty neat and rich heritage we share but it is very unfortunate that I cannot go any further back than about 1893 or so in either side of my family's history. For a time I spent many hours exploring records that are available in Mormon Family History Centers (unbelievable geneological resource no matter your religion) and learned some very interesting things about both sides of my family but records from Russia are either destroyed or buried somewhere.

I love looking at the older photos of my family. Most of them I do not have in my possession. Instead I borrowed them from family members and scanned and archived the images, hopefully to one day make some sort of presentation with them. Sometimes people look at some of the photos and ask me why I don't get the images restored (creases fixed, fading fixed, etc) but I like them the way I've captured them in the scans. The disintegrated condition gives them atmosphere and a sense of mystery, a feeling of another time and place - I'll keep them the way they are.

Thanks for sharing some of your family background too.