Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:20 AM   #21

One thing I've noticed as I get older, monkey, is that while my body reminds me of my age every day, my mind makes me still feel like I'm a teenager. May it ever remain that way...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:21 AM   #22

PS - ferny, I probably wouldn't have liked the 80's either, if I hadn't lived through them the first time around at such an impressionable age. For some reason, they were awful at the time - teenage angst - and so fond to think back on (isn't that what nostalgia really is?!?!). So I don't blame you a bit. Maybe your second time around you'll like them. They must be an acquired taste.

And I forgot to ask in the other thread (sorry for crossing my platforms here) - what's a 99 ice cream, that your mom used as eye drops for pickles? :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:40 AM   #23

How can you not know what a 99 is? :shock:

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:02 PM   #24

OK, so it's an ice cream cone with a thick brown straw? Or is that a cinnamon stick? Or chocolate-dipped delicacy? What are the speckles? And does the "99" stand for the number of calories? :-)Or the minutes of working out we must do to negate the treat? (sorry - it still looks foreign to me - foreign but YUMMY!) :-)
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:03 PM   #25

Because we live in the US, ferny! :-)

All I can remember from the good old days in the Bronx is the Good Humor Ice Cream Man coming around each evening. All of us kids would go running to mom or dad to get a quarter to buy an ice cream.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #26

It's a soft ice-cream served in a wafer cone with a Cadbury's chocolate flake in it.

No-one seems to know why it is called a 99 but I found this on another website.

Quote:
How about this (from Charlie at Cadbury's):
The real reason for "99" Flake being so called has been lost in the mists of time, but this is an extract from an article which appeared in a Cadbury works paper many years ago:

At a recent Sales conference Mr Berry, a sales manager, told a story of how Flake became associated with ice cream and how "99" Flake came by its name.
"When I first came north in 1928 I found that some of the Italian soft ice cream makers in County Durham were trying ways of introducing other lines to increase their sales, which in those days were largely in the form of sandwich wafers. The possibilities were obvious if we could get a suitable line, both in shape and size and texture - and the most promising was Flake, which at that time only sold as a 2d line, and therefore had to be cut with a knife to reduce its size.
However, it proved very successful and its popularity quickly spread. After successive introductions of half penny and 1d Flake, both of which were sold with ice cream, the Sales Committee finally agreed to produce a special size to fit the sandwich and Mr Berry visited a number of Italian customers in the area. After this of course the cornet with the Flake placed temptingly in the top of the ice cream became very popular.
In the days of the monarchy in Italy the King had a specially chosen guard consisting of 99 men, and subsequently anything really special or first class was known as '99' and that his how '99' Flake came by its name."
How's that?

I've been told by English people who have moved to America, that your chocolate is rubbish (no offence intended). We have to send them bars of Cadbury's. :lol:
You're not really allowed to send chocolate to America though. Don't tell anyone what we do.

And before you ask what a Flake is.
http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/...ries/flake.htm

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:27 PM   #27

OK, ferny - I still have two questions: (1) will your 99 make it to my house before melting if you mail it in winter? and (2) why haven't you mailed me any Cadbury's yet? :-)My step daughter lives in Italy and once in awhile mails us (yes, via mail!) some Milka bars. I prefer our chocolate but am quite happy to eat hers, too. I prefer dark chocolate, actually. I don't like the Cadbury eggs they sell over here but that's all I've had that are Cadbury. :-)
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:27 PM   #28

My freidn brought me a whole box of cadbury flakes home this spring break but I never had it with soft serve... since I don't ahve soft serve at my house Itw as just normal icecream.. but sitl very yummy!!! I ate the flakes plain too... YUMMM
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:15 PM   #29

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Geez, you guys are all so young!!!! You are making me feel so ancient.
We have wisdom, Geoff. We just have to remember where we put it.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:17 PM   #30

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
We have wisdom, Geoff. We just have to remember where we put it.
Huh? Short-term memory loss, senility? I forgot what those things are! :-)