Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:03 AM   #11

The grossest we get around here are cockroaches but they're few and far between. They look a little like your boxeldar. So do our beetles. I haven't seen a real live cockroach, tho, since my college days.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:34 AM   #12

Monkey, I was raised in the Bronx and believe me, there were tons of cockroaches! One of the very pleasant surprises about the western US is the complete absence of cockroaches. OTOH, it seems that the local replacement for cockroaches is another critter named a silverfish, also a disgusting little bug but they crush much easier than cockroaches and I've never seen one that can run around with its head cut off. :-)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #13

I've seen silverfish - and they're not quite so icky - I don't think they carry the disease that cockroaches do, do they? They're not so large, so prolific, or so hard to get rid of. Luckily all we get at my new home are some ants. Not a lot, and not in the kitchen.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:18 AM   #14

Silverfish are not as bad as cockroaches, monkey, as you stated. I can tolerate them especially as they are not nearly as abundant and they mostly just like to live in the insulation in attics.

Now, just as long as the ants you see are not carpenter ants you'll be fine...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:01 PM   #15

LOL - no, they're not. And even carpenter ants aren't that bad - they can be removed like regular ants (unlike termites, which are a bear to get rid of) and rather than use your house for food (as termites do), they just chew it to make their houses. Once the house is made, they're done doing damage. I had them once at my old house (before I got married) and getting rid of them was a snap. :-)Removing the overhanging tree also was a big help (their access to my upper deck). :-)