Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:09 PM   #1

These shots were taken today at the Chicago Botanic Garden. The first, focused on the foreground flowers, was early in the visit and the background water lily had yet to open. On my way out of the park, I caught the same scene when the lily had opened.

Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

Wonderful example, RGRotts !

And the second one is really, really a very nice shot !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:22 PM   #3

I love them both, and I'm a tough one to get to like any flower photo!

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:53 PM   #4

Thx to you both.....
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:06 AM   #5

Great shot! It's like watching it bloom woo hoo! I love hte pretty purple too!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:40 AM   #6

Yes! These are both very nice - and are exactly what the original challenge called for. I think I prefer the first one slightly. :-)It's like those eye exams, tho, where you go back and forth, and finally have to choose one. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:17 AM   #7

I lean toward #1 because more of it is in focus. The unfocused foregrond of #2, while fulfilling the challenge, is too dominant and distracting. I printed #2 in 4x6 to test and think it would look better with a bit of the abundant left side orange flower removed. That should place more emphasis on the lily, texture and colors in the pads, and less on the unfocused, butsomewhat essential, orange border colors....any other thoughts on this line are welcome. Thanks...Bob
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:10 PM   #8

I agree with you to a certain extent, but after sitting here with my little cardboard cutout (similar to an empty color slide frame) and viewing your photo through it, reframing to eliminate this part, that part, and the other part, I decided this picture is like so many of my own where, once again, I should have taken at least20 pictures of the subject instead of 4. That lily wants a different framing with the foreground flowers, one that just can't be gotten out of this picture. I can't tell you what that framing is because, in truth, I just don't know what it is. Darn those short picture-taking attention spans, right?:sad:
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:35 PM   #9

Yep, you know the inbound shot (foreground focused) was on my way into the park, just got there & took 2 or 3 of that scene. On the way out, I'm dead tired. The camera is off and for all intents I'm done shooting for this trip when I happened to notice the lily had opened so again, hastily shot a few nore and limped back to the car. There is just SO much at that place and I get there so seldom that I take 150 shots of a wide variety. Maybe one day I could be patient enough to hang around a couple of areas and take dozens of a similar scene, framed differently as you suggest. Then again, I'm not a real techie with the camera either. I use itmostly in Program mode, adjusting exposure in +/-0.3 to +/-0.7 in ether direction and sometimes turn the flash off. Macro and maual focus once in awhile but that's about it. My camera is much more capable than I am right now, I just need more time to learn it and my tools. Finally got PS Elements but keep going back to what I'm more familiar with......
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:40 PM   #10

We're all essentially the same, all of us doing precisely what you did. I swear that I have a thousand times more "almost" shots than I do of anything else. Patience is what we all need, and maybe with a touch more concentration. Maybe it's the collector in us, wanting a little bit of everything.

As far as using the camera goes, I spent the first year with my powerful digital SLR using nothing but program mode. I finally got mad at myself and made myself learn one detail of it at a time. First on the list was using aperture and shutter priority modes. Once it became natural to choose one or the other, I focused completely on using aperture priority. That under my belt, I added manual focus and learned how to get sharp focus even though I'm lousy at seeing it through the viewfinder (card with words, numbers, and lines on it--if I can read it, it's in focus). In between, I worked with exposure compensation, macro mode, ISO, etc. I then went over to taking everything in RAW mode. And right now I'm trying to put all of it together, using the camera in nothing but total manual mode. How long have I been insisting I learn my camera? Nearly a year, but taking it step-by-step, I'm only aware of the time taken by looking back on it all.

An inch at a time eventually adds up to a foot.