Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 21, 2004, 6:41 AM   #1

Jumping on the reality show bandwagon, we're going to try something different for this challenge. This was suggested by brtsergio and brainstormed and mutated into what you are about to read.

Post a photo you'd like to see improved or manipulated in ways not thought of by you. It can be a shot you just aren't happy with and don't know how to improve, a shot you love and would like to see what its possibilities are, or just something you're curious to see what others might do what you think is a pretty boring shot. Try to keep your file as large as possible (even breaking the rules of size this time only, as long as it's small enough to upload) and as true-to-original as possible.

Viewers, your challenge is this: import the original photo into your manipulation software (right-click and slide to "copy" and then paste somewhere in your computer) and tweak it however you think is best. In the initial thread, post your "new and improved" photo as well as telling us all what you did so the original poster can choose to replicate your effects on his/her own. When you repost your manipulated photo, please keep it to the forum's standards for size, since we don't need it large for preservation of quality - we really need it small to look at it.

You may, towards the end of the challenge, submit your own touch-ups to your own original photo.

If you have any qualms about copyright issues and someone else accessing and changing your work, please don't post a photo for a makeover – wait until the next challenge to submit your work.

Don't forget to include the prefix "Extreme Makeover" to your posts.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:26 AM   #2

I've had to re-read this a few times to clear it in my head, perhaps I'm a bit thick. We post a (big) picture for others to edit in some way. They do some editing to it and post their version. Then towards the end of the challenge we post our version?

Cool idea sergio and monkey. I've considered doing this in the digital forum but didn't expect many people to join in. Now it's a challenge, woohoo!

I'm looking forward to this.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:57 AM   #3

I was really looking forward to the new challenge but, alas, I will sit this one out. I don't want other people modifying my photos and I don't think I should be modifying those of others. I have a number of candidates left over from the previous "open" challenge. I will post those in some of the other forums.

I look forward to the next challenge and I hope it is back to "I present my photo and y'all tell me what's wrong (or right) with it.!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Cal,

We realize some people might feel proprietary about their posted photos, even whenthey arealteredoutside ofthis specificchallenge. But we also figured there were enough who enjoy the free sharing of ideas - "brainstorming," if you will - to think this would be a fun, unique, and informative challenge. It's a chance for those of us who would love to ask for hands-on "show me" help but feel it might be imposing to ask. It's a workshop-type of idea/forum for this challenge where the challenge lies not only in the photographer, but the "developers" and the observers.

I am sure you're not alone, which is why we made it clear this would be a "free for all" and a warning notto post if people feel as you do.I hope that you do at least take a peek at what's done in this challenge, even if you won't be submitting or making over. Feel free to post comments (which are always welcome and productive and don't change any photographs directly), and we can't wait to see what you post for the NEXT challenge! :-)
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:50 PM   #5

Although that is your prerogative calr, I find it slightly puzzling that you wouldn't want to post a picture of yours that you aren't all that happy with so others can try to make it better. Or that you wouldn't want to edit someone else's picture when they've posted it for that reason. I'm going to treat this challenge as a workshop. I'm hoping to learn how to make my pictures better. Still, if everybody looked the same, we'd get tired looking at each other. You know the fellas go for the moolah.

I've just got to find one of mine that is boring. They normally fall into two categories. Rubbish and ok. The rubbish ones get forgotten about and the ok ones get posted here. :lol:

Do pictures where the subject is under exposed count? How about if it's film?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:12 PM   #6

Thanks, ferny - that really is the way this challenge it was meant. A conversation I was having with Amy via PM got me thinking just now - wouldn't those in thephoto puristschool of thoughtreally love it if someone posted an unadulterated photo and all of us grabbed at it and tweaked it and squished it and painted it and cropped and stretched and just ran it through the star-belly machine (sorry, Dr. Seuss) and all we proceeded to do was RUIN it?!?! There is a lesson here, too, for those of us who go wild with photo manipulation: the photo straight from the camera really CAN be MUCH better than anything we can imagine or create with software. I think the results will be fantastic to see, all the way around. :-)

ferny -ALL pictures count. You may just "stump the panel." :-)
Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:23 AM   #7

Don't we need two versions of each photo ?- first a small one to see whether we can be bothered to try and improve it, and *then* the giant file version on which to work.

I'm on a 50667bps dial-up modem at best (5mins/megabyte, roughly), often slower, so I probably won't see anything of this challenge, because it'll take me up to 10 mins to download each image. It's already a slow business to look at other people's pictures. Asking people deliberately to post a *big* file, without a clue as to what it looks like, seems crazy to me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:41 AM   #8

My internet is slooooow, too, AlanT!:? People don't need to post a huge file - just something big enough for us to work with. The ones posted have been just fine. They could probably even be regular size. :-)
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:14 AM   #9

Okay, since I'm a little new here. I have a few questions.

Firstly, are we supposed to post the photos in this thread, or start new ones for each photo?

Secondly, what are the boundries for modification? I can get a little out there in the editors sometimes.
wes nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:26 AM   #10

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You click on "New Topic" at the top of this forum or a post in this forum. Put "Extreme Makeover" at the start of the title (there is a balnk box to add the title) then add what the subject is afterwards. For instance in my post I titled it "Extreme Makeover - Abby". In your post you will post the picture that you want edited.

When editing someone elses picture you should click on "Reply" which can be found at the top of each post in that thread. Edit it as much as you want. That is the idea behind this challenge.