Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:39 AM   #1

Well, since monkey143 mentioned me, let me be the first to provide an image for your extreme makeover.

The image is exactly howit came out from my cam but for rotating and redimensioning it.

Have fun !

Attached Images

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

This one's going to be FUN! :-)This is a good, simple shot that will probably be easy to work with and have good results all the way around - when you start with a good shot the rest is easy! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:49 AM   #3

A good abstract in its own right sergio. So I've decided to do something simple.

On sergios advice I've posted a low quality version here. To see a higher quality version click the picture.

Edited under a coat so please excuse, but feel free to point out, any mistake.
=
Pasted into PSP8
=
Cropped but not resized.
=
New layer - blend mode to colour - coloured red - transparency 52%
New layer - blend mode to colour - coloured blue - transparency 44%
New layer - blend mode to colour - coloured yellow - transparency 38%
New layer - blend mode to colour - coloured black - transparency 100%
=
Carefully went around where colours joined and erased. Using the frame (if that what it is) in the lamp to separate the colours. The black layer was not touched so it coloured the frame. I debated about leaving the coloured lines next to the frame. I was going to delete them but leaving the thick lines seems to help separate the colours. You'll see what I'm on about.
=
Minor contrast and colour enchantments to the original bottom layer.
=
Exported as a jpeg. Not at the highest quality as that would be almost double the file size allowed by photobucket.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:19 AM   #4

Lovely color treatment, ferny! Nice! :-)
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:19 AM   #5

Thanks monkey.
So my interpretation of this week challenge was correct? It's just that I was reading it and thinking "yep, fine. I get that." Then you said "Viewers, your challenge is this: import the original photo into your manipulation software (right-click and slide to "copy" and then paste somewhere in your computer) and tweak it however you think is best. In the initial thread, post your "new and improved" photo as well as telling us all what you did so the original poster can choose to replicate your effects on his/her own.." which kind of threw me. I'm having one of those days where your brain flat out refuses to make sense of anything.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:09 AM   #6

Yes, you got the concept. I think calr did, too, since he posted a "sorry not to participate" in my original challege post(which is perfectly acceptable since we each have different comfort levels). You dida fine first example for others who might not understand what I was trying to communicate - so thank you for being the first to interpret (correctly!) as well as the great submission. I'm going to take the lamp post (pardon the pun!) home and do it on my system that has Photoshop. Here at work I just have some crappy freebie software that I'm just supposed to use for printing photos for proposals. On a lucky day I get to clone the phone lines out and crop a little. :-)
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:44 AM   #7

You perfectly got the concept, ferny, and thanx for your elaboration.

Coloring that space division was an idea I did not have at all , so , I'm glad about it cause this was another side of the spirit of the challenge : let's see what other people will come up to starting from the original shot !

As far as your work is concerned, well, well done !

I see the point about the colors along the frame boundary : I think that maybe I would have cloned out those 3 black parts to the other three places in order to avoid the "problem" of the colour join.

As far as images and dimensions are concerned, I put a big image directly because , since it was all black, it was only 75 Kbytes.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:11 PM   #8

monkey143 wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to take the lamp post (pardon the pun!) home and do it on my system that has Photoshop.
Good. It's been a while since I've seen you post a photo I think. Did you enter the last challenge?

I see what you mean about the black squares sergio, good idea. I wasn't talking about the colour joins there though. I meant here (see attachment). I don't know if you can see it, but there is a solid line of colour up against the black. It seems to do a nice job of framing that section of colour though, so I left it.
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:25 PM   #9

ferny wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if you can see it, but there is a solid line of colour up against the black.
I'm terribly sorry, ferny, but I really can't see it !

Maybe it's my laptop screen : I realized it has a limited amount of shades with respect to my CRT monitor.

A suggestion :ferny (and everybody who wants to add his makeover) , I would also put a smaller image of your makeover directly in the post along with the link so that people can easily see your work, and , if they like it and want tosee a detailed one they can always get the bigger image by clicking on the link.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:42 PM   #10

No, ferny, I haven't posted a photo in awhile. LOL. I haven't had time. I intend to play with this one a little since I will probably get a chance.

Good suggestion, brtsergio! I assumed we would post our revisions in your thread (I think I mentioned that in the instructional thread) and I will downsize mine to fit the typical constraints. Maybe I'll revisit my challenge... :-)