Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:19 PM   #21

If posting your link was your way of getting ferny's permission, I don't think he was aware of that - PMing him first would have been the way to go since it wasasite outside of this forum.I do hope you're not offended. On the other hand, as long as I'm a moderator I'm going to do my best to keep it legit. I certainly do hope to keep things light and friendly in the process.Sometimes it's a fine, difficultline.Anyway, I think if you contact ferny, you'll see he'sa great guy. I'll leave the rest between you two and bow myself out. :-)

Anyway, your submittal is a good one and I can see why you'd want to use it on your site. Back to the photo thread.... :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:25 PM   #22

I wasn't too bothered wes, I was playing with you really (see the :lol but did raise an eyebrow to you creating a site with an image based on a photo by me without any mention of it on your site. I fully respect that the one that you have on your site is your image and not mine. But it would have been nice for a quick shout out. Something along the lines of "Image by wes nile, based on photograph by ferny", perhaps with a link to my site or something. When you use something that isn't 100% yours, it's just nice to let people who don't know, know.

If I may give you a bit of advice. In future you may want to drop someone a line about this sort of thing before you put your idea into practise. Some people can be very protective of their work, even with a silly photo like the one I posted in this thread.
And it saves monkey from having to publicly look like the big bad woolof. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:32 PM   #23

Dude... I finished up with that part of the site that I started yesterday evening about 7 this morning. The reason I havent gotten something like that up yet, is because I couldn't stay awake long enough to do that yet. The site is far far from done, and I guess I was a little enthusiastic about what I got done in a day, considering I really honestly have no clue what I am doing in flash yet (I haven't had time to study up on another editor yet). So I brought it here and posted it in ferny's site to show him what I did with a photo that I altered of his. So if I overstepped my bounds by showing a private thing in a public forum then delete my posts, and well be done with it and I'll change it. Nuff said. -=[came back and bit my tounge a little]=-
wes nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:58 AM   #24

I am going to leave this thread here, as a way to remind everyone of what can happen if we don't follow the "rules." I know, it can bea pain in the butt, but mostly, they're there for a reason.

Update for those of you following this thread: ferny has given written permission to wes, and we've all shaken hands and had a group hug. :-)Little note for those of you who are not aware: you can't take anything of anyone's (even if you change it) without getting their permission in writing. Wes was in the process of getting that permission, which I did not know, and ferny did give his permission. I may have jumped the gun on this one but part of my responsibility here is to err on the safe side to keep us allhappy. Lesson learned: don't post your modifications of someone else's photo anywhere other than the original thread without getting their permission in writing and it wouldn't hurt to make a note that you have done so. This isn't something that happened because of this challenge, I don't believe - we often nab others' photos and doctor them up a bit so I'm surprised this hasn't surfaced earlier but am glad it surfaced now, so peacefully, so we could address the issue but do it between two very reasonable and friendly members. It could have blown up if the two gentlemen hadn't communicated so well and graciously.

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote