Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:59 AM   #1

Here's a real challenge that's beyond me, inspired by your wonderful "Hawk in Flight" makeovers. It illustrates the challenge in getting anything memorable if you have a little 5Mpix with 3x zoom and you visit a good wildlife site.

This is at the Red Kite Centre at Rhayader, mid-Wales, UK, where a daily feeding session has led over a decade to a population of 400 resident Welsh pairs all descended from a single female.

"The Birds 1" is a resized version of the full frame. The next post ("The Birds 2") is a full-size small clip from the middle of another frame to see if any of you clever folk can do anything with it.

Yes, I know, the answer is always to carry my OM-10 with a fast film and its 400mm lens, or buy a digicam with a big zoom.
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:18 PM   #2

Here is my attempt...
Attached Images

rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:21 PM   #3

This one looks tough. rob, you did a nice job in darkening the sky. Unfortunately, the shot looks too scattered for my eye - I keep trying to find a center on interest, and I can't. I would probably create one somehow but I'm not sure how yet. Alan, your cropping and reposting of this photo in a new thread will probably be the ticket. rob, can Ifinagle you to hop over to that thread and try withAlan'scropped portion? :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:48 AM   #4

Ok, heres my little effort after playing with this photo:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:06 AM   #5

That sky hurts my eyes on my monitor at work - but I really like this concept, alady - confetti! I'd try making the sky white and the birds vibrant and different colors. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:02 AM   #6

last go

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:32 AM   #7

a bit apocalyptic one... :O
Iacopo
Attached Images

iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 6:37 PM   #8

What struck me about this photo is that you have captured numerous "aviators" in different attitudes of flight.

It amazes me how raptors can ride the thermals for minutes or even hours then suddenly fold in their wings and unerringly find their target of opportunity.

This is what I tried to emulate in this version...

"Be the bird"
Attached Images

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:54 AM   #9

Digcamfan, what we've done to each other's images here and in your "lakelustre" image is a good example of what the whole 'Challenge' forum is about. We've accidentally had a little workshopon trying out "Extreme cropping".The resultwill not usually be anything like the picture we intended, but will often be a completely different memorable image.

However, in *this* case your crop comes close what to what I'd hoped someone would achieve when I posted the original. TVM.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:03 AM   #10

Aladyforty, I think I'll make a file of prints to present to the enthusiastic old farmer who runs the red kite centre when I next pass his door.

I bet neither he nor I imagined he could actually have a red & pink kite centre, much less a red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet kite centre!