Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:40 AM   #1

The original was in color but I think the b/w version has even greater impact. Here's the b/w version:

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 3:52 AM   #2

This is almost like a Rorshach test. I not sure it has quite the impact you intended.

Cheers
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:47 AM   #3

I agree with Selvin on the Rorschach test. It is nota peaceful photo for me.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:29 AM   #4

Thanks for looking people. The lake was mirror smooth that morning, resulting in an almost perfect reflection. The sky was also a bit stormy - perhaps that is why it is not as peaceful for you to "reflect" on monkey?

Not every landscape photo is going to be serene. Many such scenes instead will evoke feelings of drama, suspense, majesty, awe, even fear. For me, this original scene was dramatic and majestic. Whether or not I was able to capture those feelings, well, that's another story...

Here's the color version for you to see how it compares to the b/w version posted above. As you can see, the original colors were a bit muted, but is accurate to the original scene:

Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:58 AM   #5

Geoff, I think I prefer your second submittal. It certainly fulfills the challenge requirements (both of them do) and I like the gritty, dirty color and texture. The other one, to me, just looks dirty. The second has more character. I see the shape of an Indian arrowhead. Could this be appropriate to the regional photograph, too?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:04 AM   #6

Gee, monkey, perhaps I just should have submitted the original color version and just been happy with that! :-)

I too like the grain in the image as it really reinforces in my own mind the majesty of the original scene (I don't know why grain in this instance makes me feel that way - but it does...).

Yes, there is indeed the appearance of an Indian arrowhead shape in the mountains. However, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "Could this be appropriate to the regional photograph, too?"
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:26 AM   #7

I'm sorry. Is this an area rich in Native Indian history, that the shape of the "arrowhead" mountain reflection lends itself to the region?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:29 AM   #8

Okay, now I understand what you were getting at monkey. Phew, takes me awhile...

Yes, Montana is an area that was and still is rich in Indian history. Large parts of the state are Indian reservations - not this area but areas close to it. So evoking images of arrowheads in the shapes of the mountains definitely associates closely with the original history of the area.