Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 10, 2004, 3:55 PM   #1

Initially this shot appeared to be pretty bad but I did a little contrast adjusting and came up with one more angle.......on The Bean. In case you missed the data on the first batch, this little guy measures up at 33 x 66 feet and weighs 110 tons. I just learned that the title of this piece is Cloud Gate and that it's creator, Anish Kapoor, hates the nickname, The Bean.

Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:10 AM   #2

That's an interesting piece of information - and this photo blows me away. I like it much better than the others, if that's possible. Very, very good use of vanishing points. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 8:02 AM   #3

I have to admit that I was skeptical when I saw this on TV prior to the park opening. Chicago has lots of sculpture and great architecture, many of which are initially controversial. I had no expectations other than plain curiosity about this but now that I've seen it, I'll be back and highly recommend to most people that they see it.

Thanks for the kind words M143......Bob
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:29 AM   #4

That would definately be one I'd make the time to see! You're doing your friends and visitors a favor by recommending it.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 2:00 PM   #5

That is a very nice shot.

I agree completely with Monkey143! I went by it yesterday but didn't stop because of the weather. I spent about an hour there today and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for letting us know about it.
CShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:41 PM   #6

Wonderful !

Both the sculpure and the Shot, RGRotts.

P.S. : I made a search to find out more shots about this silver bean when I found this :

http://www.suntimes.com/special_sect...-kapoor14.html

Funny how the same bean calls for the same angle of shot ! ( But I like your dark tones better ;-) )!!!

brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 6:24 PM   #7

I've got to come clean and tell you that my camera was accidentally on Aperture Priority when this picture was taken and before contrast adjustment, it didn't look usable. I really liked the outcome though, looks as if I had useda polarized filter but I don't even own one....yet. I initally let the software do automatic contrast adjustment but when this popped out of the darkness, I took it a little further. Thanks for showing the article link and for your compliments. The image you speak of almost looks like an artist conception painting, perhaps even watercolor.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:25 PM   #8

No need to "come clean" - you're squeaky from the get-go as far as I'm concerned. It's a great photo regardless of your camera's settings.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:41 PM   #9

When you said "Squeeky" I thought of our other Cairn Terrier, Mali who I sometimes call "Stinky". My new avator is Mali when she's being Stinky, looking for attention by trying to look taller, all 9 pounds of her. And just as much of a dickens as she looks.What a case.....terrorist in a dog suit.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 6:25 AM   #10

Cute avatar! Stinky for a nickname... hmm.... glad it's not mine. :-)