Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:19 PM   #1

When I posted my entry for A I said how I didn't want to post any man-made objects and instead wanted to find natural ones. I also said that I was going to take a series of photo's to make the alphabet. So here they are. I set myself some guidelines. None of the letters could be made by me, they had to look like the letters in their natural form. And I couldn't flip an object to make a letter if there was no way of it looking like that letter without doing so. I started them on Monday afternoon and finished taking them today. I had to wait until the evenings until I could edit any of them though.
I've tried my best to make a photograph out of each one instead of a snap shot. You guys will judge me on that. But how exactly do you make a photograph out of a garage door? :lol: Some I'm proud of (E and C spring to mind), some I hate (G) and some will need to be re-done (X). All were taken in the house or garden. What was the hardest to find? B was impossible and K was just as hard. They're so un-natural. I spend the last two days trying to find them.

Please be honest about them. If they're rubbish tell me. If you can see something that needs to be changed tell me. But please bear in mind that because they're from around the house only, I didn't have full control over their composition. Take a look at Z for an example. And also, that it was bloody hard to find all 26! :lol:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v153/ferny/alphabet/

If you have any question about one of them, please ask. When I get my gallery up (yeah, that thing I keep saying I'm gonna do) I'll explain each one. And give credit to monkey and vito.

I'm thinking of doing another series where I manipulate an object to make a letter. A penknife folded in the correct way will look like a K for instance. And I'm toying with the idea of doing numbers. I've got some great ideas for 0, 2 and 8. But can anyone think of what to do for a number 4? Four sticks in the ground? Then what do I do for number 5, five sticks? :lol: Numbers will be hard! I'm think of doing an alphabet of "real" letters to. For instance an S from a newspaper and an N from a shop sign.

Thank you monkey and vito for this challenge.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:57 PM   #2

Wow - ferny, that's absolutely fantastic! You get an "A" - also an "E" for effort!!! :-)I love W, still can't see Y, and what is "B"??!?! I have to repeat myself - ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:09 PM   #3

Ferny, that quite a collection. Kudos. Now, I'm waiting to see how many of those objects show up in your macro game. I have found that I need to make my "Whatsit" game more difficult. People are guessing too quickly.

Anyway, good work to everyone!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:39 AM   #4

Ferny,

I think you need to get a life outside of digital photography....

Just joking, great creative work.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:35 AM   #5

I forgot to say that I set myself another rule when taking these. I couldn't use the same object twice. It would have been too easy to do that. For instance, the garage door could have given me A and T.

E's are bad here monkey. The grades goes fro A* to F. How could you be so cruel to me?

:lol:

B is the top of a small plastic alarm clock. The picture was taken on the boot (trunk) of a white car in the garage. The horizontal lines you can see are the reflections of the florescent tubes on the roof. I used a polarizer. I wasn't overly happy with using the clock. But it was either that, a pair of glasses or a lily pad. The glasses wouldn't have been interesting and I would have had to rotate them. The lily pads didn't look like a B when I saw them on the computer. The clock, although it had to be rotated, was the more natural and interesting of them all.
Y is the bottom of a pair of Reebok DMX trainers (running shoes). The Y is on the left of the sole as you look at it in the picture. The background was a white T-Shirt. I could have used it for V but decided to use my jacket for that instead.

I'm glad you like them. And I think I'm in agreement with you Selvin. :lol:

These games are harder to do than they look aren't they calr? It's easy to post one where it is obvious what the item is and easy to post one which no one will get. But almost impossible to post an object that gets lots of people making different guesses. I don't think I've managed that yet.

Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:32 AM   #6

ferny, E's are bad here, too. In elementary, our grades are A, B, C, D, and E. In high school they jump to A, B, C, D, F for some reason (F being failure, I suppose). Anyway, Nana (maternal grandmother who passed away earlier this year) always said "E for Effort" so I remember that expression very fondly. It was not a slight, in the slightest! :-)I was sharing my grandmother with you, not failing you.
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 8:33 AM   #7

ferny...you're amazing dude..

you win this challenge! you win respect! from many people..

congratulations!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:07 AM   #8

Thanks vito.

I was only playing monkey. I don't remember getting grades in junior school (age 7 to 11) but in high school (11 to 16) I think it went (because it was such a long time ago you understand.. five years...) C - commendable, G - Good, S - satisfactory, U - unsatisfactory. I think there was another one there somewhere for bad. This was just my schools system you understand. I don't think every school went with these. When it came to my GCSE's (the exams we take at 16) we get told "now here is the new system, A*, A, B, C, D, E and F.". I think you get another mark after F for not turning up to the exam. You'd think they'd use the A* to F system all the time you're in high school wouldn't you? Then again, you'd also expect to be taught about Russia in history and sit an exam on Russia, not WWII. :lol:
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:48 PM   #9

Great mix of images and great imagination = great job!
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:41 PM   #10

ferny,

Very nice. I've been remiss in pursuing this weeks challenge. Your images have inspired me to spend some time this afternoon seeing what I can spot at the last minute.

harry

harryed is offline   Reply With Quote