Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:34 AM   #1

Low key/high key

For this one, find a good subject and take the photo twice – once in low key (dark tones/little contrast/low intensity) and once in high key (bright tones, high intensity), to compare the two. You may be surprised that what you thought would be the better picture can actually be improved upon by the difference in ambiance.

Here are some samples and brief descriptions to help you get started:

High Key

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=396

Low Key

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGall2.asp?catID=397

Remember the size constraints and to post the title of the challenge in your title. :-)

monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:15 AM   #2

I saw a perfect example of a high key photo last night (sorry I can't post it ). Some people were complaining of it being over exposed. But it wouldn't be half the picture it is if it wasn't.

This should prove an interest challenge monkey. Thank you.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:06 PM   #3

Hi Monkey,
This sounds like an excellent challenge and it could be quite educational to many, myself included.

I don't have any pictures already in my database that fulfill this challenge. I want to do a series including light on dark, light on light, dark on light, and dark on dark. I want to do several different metering methods for each of those combination. For me, this is going to be a big project but I hope to have a better understanding of metering and exposure when I am done. A gray card will feature prominently in my project.

So there is the project and here is the problem. I am leaving for Hawaii on Sunday and don't return until the following Sunday. This doesn't give me time to complete this project before the challenge ends. Also, there will be at least 16 pictures showing my results which is too much to post for the challenge.

I am going to do this but I will probably have to post my results in the "Other Photos" forum.

BTW, this challenge sound familiar. Was this chosen from the list I sent you?

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:12 PM   #4

cal...talk about timing

no problem..you could post your results in this forum if you want..you're going on vacation, so i'll excuse the late-ness....

btw...i'm not sure how i'm gonna take my high key shot...i've been focusing on lowkey shots....(just look at almost every thread i've posted in the closeups forum lol)

i'll have to look up some sites, if i find anything, i'll post the links..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:32 PM   #5

Cal, YES, this is for you!!! :-)I wasn't sure if you were shy about it, so I didn't blast that in the assignment. Your series sounds fantastic, and as vito already stated, of course you may post when you get back! Please do post here, since I'm sure we'd all love to see what you've done. Maybe break it up into a series of four posts (A, B, C, and D with the same title, perhaps) to keep the threads moving but do post them!!!

Have a fantastic time in Hawaii!!!

Vito, if you do find links, that'd be great if you post them - I couldn't find many so that would be a big help to everyone, myself included! can't wait to see what you do. :-)
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:32 PM   #6

After seeing what has been posted so far, I am wondering if my understanding of high key/low key is wrong. I have always thought that high key meant a light or bright background with a light or dark subject. It did not necessarily mean intentionally blown highlights or background fading into the clouds.

On the other hand, low key is a dark background with either a light or dark subject. Again, the background doesn't necessarily fade into the night.

To me, the object of hi-key/lo-key excercises was to demonstrate how the camera's metering, on automatic, can misinterpret the scene and give the wrong exposure, over-exposed on low key and underexposed on high key. Further, the purpose of the exercise is to learn how to overcome the metering system's love for 18% gray.

If all this is true, then I haven't seen any postings so far that meet the challenge. The series of photos I will be taking when I get back from Hawaii will be "focusing" on the objectives I have stated here. There will be no post processing of the pictures except for size and sharpness.

If I am wrong in my interpretion of hi/low key (I learned it from an excellent instructor) let me know. If I am wrong in my interpretation of the challenge, please let me know that, as well.

Good day.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:36 PM   #7

cal, you're thought of high/low key shots, are the same as mine.

i've posted my shots here...so check them out before you go

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...mp;forum_id=85

this is wat i meant when given the idea for the challenge......

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:36 PM   #8

Cal, we've had a most unusual time of confusion with this challenge and I think Vito is going to post some helps for us all.:-)
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:31 AM   #9

Are low key only and hi key accepted in this challenge or is it stricly related to have the same shot taken in both ways ?

Thanx, Sergio
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:11 AM   #10

sergio, that would be up toyou. We're really getting a mixed bag on this one, and lots of confusion. Vito suggested one photo of each, posted in the same thread, to show a dfifference, but he has broken his own "rule" and I don't think mine are even appropriate!! This challenge has turned out to be most challenging! :-)