Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:32 PM   #1

Is this what you're after monkey?
It's a scanned 35mm print. Turned b&w then edited in psp8.

The first is mean and moody. The second light and cheerful. I thought I'd prefer the second but, either due to me editing or something else, I prefer the first. I think I'll play a bit with making it lighter.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 2:56 PM   #2

well... the challenge itself, would be to set up to seperate shots....so we are working with the camera now, not the pc...

low key, would be dark background, with the subject lit enough to get some details (see some of dale's stuff in close ups (cowboy))

and high key, would be the subject surrounded by bright, overexposed white...

these shots are good examples of how the lightness can affect the mood though!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 6:36 PM   #3

ferny, you have the right idea in showing the same subject the same way using different tonal differences. And you have the right idea in that the objective is to see if what we thought would be best, really IS best. But vito is right about it supposed to be two different photos - this really is going to be one of the tougher challenges. I may have to actually drag my camera out over the holiday and fail miserably at it. Your low key appears to be low key - but high key doesn't appear as bright/washed out as it should be. It's only fault is that it appears to be properly metered!!! :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 4:21 AM   #4

Yeah, the second isn't what I wanted. When I said I was going to re-do it I was going to use the burn (or is it dodge? I hardly use them so forget which is which) tool and lose most of the fur and background.

So we can't edit images that we already have or edit ones taken especially for this challenge. We have to take two separate shots using the camera's settings? Hmm... Tricky indeed.
All I can edit on my camera is the exposure control which goes from +1.5 to -1.5. I suspect at -1.5 I'll get a dark noisy image and at +1.5 I'll get an overexposed picture, but not one to the extent needed.

I've thought of an object to use so I'll give it a go later and use it as a tester to see if that is acceptable.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:22 AM   #5

the challenge is about lighting these next two weeks, you're camera shouldn't have to do anything special....

if it doesn't seem to work, find a trick, a way to "fake" your camera into thinking the exposure is right (it'll want to make the bright white background middle grey)

but remember, the challenge is all about light...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:49 PM   #6

I said I was going to have another go, so I guess I should post it.

This is the high key I wanted to post and that came into my mind when reading the challenge. I didn't post it for a couple of reasons. I wasn't brave enough as it is completely away from my think when shooting/editing. And Nip/Tuck was just about to start. Ok the acting is crap, the gore is blatantly fake and laughable and the script is dodgy. But for some reason I like it. :lol:

I think it needs to go a touch lighter still, but I'm not confident enough to do it. Stupid aren't I?

But, is it high key? Is it an acceptable entry (even though you don't want edited photos)?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:10 PM   #7

I had never heard the terms "highkey" or "lowkey" before coming here, so I am certainly not an expert, but what feels "right" to me is to make most, if not all, of the background vanish. The subject should be the only focal point, but should not be too stark, like a silhouette.

I hope you don't mind, but I took your photo and did what "felt" right for this challenge. I hope you approve.

mactek
Attached Images

mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:14 PM   #8

mactek wrote:
Quote:
I had never heard the terms "highkey" or "lowkey" before coming here, so I am certainly not an expert, but what feels "right" to me is to make most, if not all, of the background vanish. The subject should be the only focal point, but should not be too stark, like a silhouette.

I hope you don't mind, but I took your photo and did what "felt" right for this challenge. I hope you approve.

mactek
That is exactly what I was after.
Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:20 PM   #9

Great!

The steps I took to reproduce were:

Extract the cat from the background.
Increase the brightness..a lot.
Paste the cat onto a white background.

Hope that's helpful.

mactek