Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 2, 2004, 2:37 PM   #1

I've got an entrant for high, one for low and a sort of inbetweeny that I think is low to. If they meet the challenge then I'll explain the work arounds I used to get them as I'm sure many with point-and-shoots will have problems.

But first, my understanding of low and high key. So you can tell me if I'm right.

Low key. A photograph where it is intentionally darker than normal. Hiding the points which aren't of interest and even only showing the important parts or highlighting the important parts. In this entry, the rose bud and vase.

High key. An image with a bright white background which floats the object. Seen often in product shots. Or an image intentionally over-exposed leaving only the important details visible. Again, the rose bud and vase here.
I have seen people refer to a photo being high key when someone posted an image which had a pure white background. That is the only time (other than now) that I've seen it mentioned. I've never heard of low key before.

Yeah, these "interpretations" of mine are me trying to read between the lines. So they're probably way off the mark.

high

low

middle/low

Yes, they're three different shots. No, no editing other than crop and resize. Erm, and no, this isn't the idea I mentioned in the other thread. :lol:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 3:18 PM   #2

ok, you're interpretations are right, but the pictures don't show it...

the low key one you posted would be low key, if you had more light on the rose, and less light on the background (rightnow you're straddling...not much light on either)

and the high key, i'm not sure the white's bright enough...

the trick to these (from wat i've read, and can figure myself....) is lighting....

low key has lighting concetrated on the subject and the subject only, then exposes for the subject, and lets the shadows fall into darkness

high key has more light on the white background than the subject and then exposes for the subject again making the white overexposed..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:23 PM   #3

So would it be safe to say the definition refers to the background, hence if the vase and flower were lightened up but the background was dark it would be low key. Now if the background was blown out but the vase and flower still had some detail to it it would be high key.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:10 PM   #4

that's wat i think..lol, but according to the link i posted in the "Low key/ High key definetions" thread, i'm wrong about the high key..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote