Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:53 PM   #1

Here's my first attempts at high and low key. The first photo is of my six week old sonand is an example of high key. It is straight out of the camera except for cropping, resizing, and a slight increase in contrast. (1/60s f/3.5 iso100 with flash exposure bias +1 2/3)

The next two are of my 5 year old daughter and are examples of high and low key. They were created with PSE, so I don't quite feel they are as true as the straight from the camera picture. I think I will mess around in a few days and see what I can get for a low key shot without editing.

I'm not really too please with the low key version, but I do find the high key interesting.
harryed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:07 PM   #2

I think the baby pic is a great example of high-key. What makes it great is that it has the eyes and mouths as spots to focus on; these spots aren't that overexposed.

I think thats also whats missing in the low-key version, though in reverse - you need some splash of light in the otherwise dark picture to grab our attention (and probably a bit more variation in the shadows too - low-key gets to be more of a complete tonal picture). Just under-exposing isn't really a pleasing effect.

Anyway, thats my thoughts on it! Its an interesting exercise to be sure.

What is your technique for getting the shadows that well minimized? Do you have a bunch of studio lights around or something?
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:32 PM   #3

very well done....

i'm not sure about the low key one...

but i really like the second high key..very nice work

just flash, overexposed?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't very impressed by the low key attempt but decided to throw it in here mostly as a contrast to the corresponding high key picture. Both pictures of the eyes are complete photoshop creations. The original picture was just an average snapshot in sunlight.

With the baby picture I was striving for a high key effect straight from the camera. I place the baby on a white blanket, pointed a desk light at him from the left, the ceiling light was somewhat to his right, and used the built-in flash. I bumped the exposure value up 1 2/3 and that's what I got. I was also surprised that there weren't more shadows. There's a bit of one below his right cheek, but that's about it.

I have some ideas about some setup low key shots that I might get around to trying the middle of next week.

harryed is offline   Reply With Quote