Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:35 PM   #1

I'm selling a lens on eBay soon so I'm getting the images ready. The only things edited were colour and contrast. The white background is straight from the camera.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

nicely done!

how did you light this?

i've seen a technique used, (haven't tried it yet)

that you bend a piece of paper from underneath it, and up to make the backdrop...

the curve keeps any lines you'd have from two pieces of paper...

then you just light from above and in front...

nice shot...

this shot will be better than like 90% of the pictures put up on ebay

oh yeah...it seems like it's tilted a bit...hm..maybe it's the wideangle? it doesn't look off on the bottom, just the top...

lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:58 PM   #3

I had to rotate it slightly. I think what you're seeing is a mixture of focal length, the way it was laying on the surface and the position of Jupiter in relation to Mercury on August 32nd 1962....:O

The background and lighting was simple. The background was a white bed sheet (which would have come in handy when I re-shot the Ferrari the other day because all I could find that was a white cloth with a pattern...I haven't updated that thread as the photo was pants. Now I've got this cloth I'll do one tomorrow). I laid it on a chair, with tins of dog food underneath the cloth to bring it up to the same height as the tripod, and made sure there were no creases. I tried to get as gentle a curve as I could where the bed sheet moved upwards at the back (make sense?).
For lighting I used the camera's flash. That's it. Other than the room being brightish. Three walls and roof are made of glass but it was overcast outside. The flash was set to the one where it fires first (to highlight the background) then fires again as it opens the shutter to give the foreground the correct exposure. I'll show my ignorance in not knowing what that is called.

I'm off to watch Arsenal v PSV Eindhoven now. I'll be back later.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 7:40 PM   #4

That IS gorgeous, ferny! Very, very professional - vito's right! But what happened to your furry family? Your avatar has been replaced by a Borg. :-)
monkey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 1:14 AM   #5

Thanks monkey.

Abby, Pickles and Susie are on holiday. Well, they're asleep and I haven't taken a good picture of them for a couple of weeks. My new on is a crop of an edit I did of Sergio's Plastic Lamp. Check the Xtreme Makeover forum. It reminded me of the KFC guy (I don't eat KFC so don't know his name. Colonel Sanders is it? I don't even eat chicken...) but now I've checked their site I don't think it does. Still looks like an old Texan boy to me though.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:12 AM   #6

...or Santa.:-)I hope your family has a nice holiday. It's to rain cats and dogs here this weekend. Can I expect them on Saturday? :-)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 9:25 AM   #7

I just checked and they're busy packing their parachutes. So they may visit you.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:57 AM   #8

Goodie! I will add "pet treats" to my shopping list now... :-)