Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:13 AM   #11

I think that if you turn the image into a negative it'll show up what you want to get rid of. Then you can turn the negative into a negative to get it back to colour.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:55 AM   #12

I'll give it a shot....thanks for the idea....

Thanks ferny, that does work. The edges show up as shades of grey on a white background. Much easier to see than in Black. Although, if I blow the image up several hundered precent, the black / grey edges show also.....good to know for future. I've laso learend since this that if I use my pencil tool instead of paintbrush, I can get sharper color edges, but that's using Digital Image Pro vs Photoshop which it seems most people are using....
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:30 AM   #13

hey rgrotts....

nice job with this shot

something that might interest you when erasing backgrounds....

is, you can make the brush draw a perfectly straight line from one point to another, by, clicking (let's say on the top left corner of one of the prints in the picture there) one point, then holding shift, and moving to the upper right corner of the print......this will paint/erase a perfect line from the first click to the next

this would be very useful for erasing just the edge, so you can use a bigger brush to attack the bigger areas....

those shots look very professional printed like that

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:43 AM   #14

Thanks Vito, I always appreciate your advice. What application are you using where this works? Photoshop I suspect? One of these days, I need to dig into Photoshop and get with the times. I'm so dependent on MS Digital Image Pro, it's eaasier for now to deal with it's relatively limited, sometime effectivefeatures, but I will be getting into PS soon.....& thanks for the compliments....

BTW - you can call me Bob (aka rgrotts)

Bob
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:58 AM   #15

I just did a magic wand selection with a tolerance of 40 on the background and it was able to get the entire background all the way up to the edge of the cards.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:51 PM   #16

oh, sry, yeah, photoshop

kool, i'll call you bob then

btw...to get into photoshop, this site will help alot!

www.luminous-landscape.com

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:14 AM   #17

Beautiful flowers! Are these in your back yard? I really like your idea. You will do well with this one!

Freida
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:34 AM   #18

Wow do I wish I could have these in my yard Freida...I'm fortunate enough to live near a large orchid grower http://www.orchidsbyhausermann.com/, about 20 miles west of Chicago. When I can't decide where to go (to shoot)or don't have the $$ to go where I want to, I go to Hausermanns. Another photographerwho I met there uses colored foamcore for backdrops. His photos are very nice but to me they look more like textbook specimens that way. Not that I think my backgrounds are anything special either, in fact, thebackgrounds are probably the toughest challenge short of decentmacro focusing in some cases.The orchids are in their prime in late winter, at least that's when the most varities are in bloom, plus they run a very popular open house. The pictures are nice, but to be among thousands of blooms, hundreds of varieties and the intoxicating scent of some of them is amazing...This place deserves to be described the same way I like to describe the Grand Canyon, a sneak peak at heaven....Bob

Our good colleague Selvin, he is your orchid man....he can rattle off the species names like, unbelievable.....
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:45 PM   #19

Rob,

Everything I know about orchids was taught to me by my son. He knows book chapter and verse about these things. I know a few verses and chapters. Even in paradise, I've managed to mangle some of his plants. Thanks for the kind compliments.

I took a look at the Hauserman site and noted that they had quite a few blank spots marked "picture not available" Is there a business opportunity there for you along with your budding card venture?

Have you tried a really up close macro with the phalaeonopsis (moth orchid) showing the lip? The look is really dramatic and really grabs the viewer's attention. They should be a winner on your cards. See example below.

Hope this post hasn't overstepped posting etiquette, my apologies if it does. Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:03 PM   #20

Sel, there are no boundariesby pondering and offering ideas. Your skills and wisdom are of benefit to many and always worth posting.....I'll have to look for this species. I may have some closeups that could crop in close also. I'm sure there may be some opportunity there, possibly to fill in the blanks. I'd have to develop a relationship where they would call when a certain variety is in prime....Many of their thumbs aren't that great either. Many could be replaced but that would take some networking....I'd like to get into their open house with some of my cards.

Hausermanns also hs some ares which are off limits where they develop hybrids. I'm tall enough to see over the dividers but can't get close enough for any decent shots....