Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:41 AM   #11

Here is the other one I took first with a shorter exposure time. See no high lights.

Freida
Attached Images

freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:33 AM   #12

Actually, the Rebel doesn't have a 2nd curtain flash ability. Even if you "enable" it in the firmware hack, its non-functional. Only way you could simulate it is to have an external flash you operate manually right at the end of the exposure. That or move up to a 10D or better.

(can you tell I've wanted to do this with my Rebel? :-))

A similar technique I've seen is taking a picture of a car stopping (e.g. a Taxi) - if it stays stopped for a few seconds, that part will probably expose enough to give you a pretty complete image at the end of the motion, so its similar in effect. Its more suitable for cars than using a flash outdoors at night anyway, unless you have a monster flash setup.
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:39 AM   #13

freidaw wrote:
Quote:
Very Cool! I am trying a program called iView to catalog my photo's. It's so cool! It's 199.00 a price of a lense but I'm really liking it. Here is the data I collected from that picture in iView.

image: IMG_0362.JPG
maker: Canon
model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
capture date: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:30:04 PM
EXIF version: 2.2
FlashPix version: 1.0
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 100
compression: 3:1
shutter speed: 214748365
aperture: f20.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Average
light source: Auto
flash: OFF
focal length: 31.0
sensing: One-chip color area sensor

hmmmm I guess it doesn't say how long I held the shutter button down. My guess is a good 2 minutes.
Was it perhaps 3.5 minutes?
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 7:55 AM   #14

Hey Friedaw,

If you want a ton of info from your picture (and you shoot JPEG - RAW you're much more limited as to external programs), I'd suggest checking out Exif.exe. Its free.

http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

Choose the Cannon presets in the Options menu, and play a bit with some of the individual options to view. You can add comments to pictures, it auto-rotates them, and is quite speedy in viewing.

What I see from it on your first pic in this thread:

shot 2004:09:29 10:34:12
shutter of 125 seconds (thats how long you held it down - pretty close to 2 minutes!)
F20
no exposure compensation
Average metering (implying you're not in full manual, which is Spot)
No flash
Focal Length of 31mm
ISO 100
Shot right side up
Self timer not used
Auto White Balance
Easy Shooting exposure mode (I think this corresponds to "P")
No sharpness adjust
Camera body # of 5d0333463
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL camera
Original dimensions of 3072x2048

Its about 500k uncompressed, and I carry it everywhere on my USB keychain so I don't have to use MS's image tools to view my shots on foriegn computers.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:29 AM   #15

Frieda, just another thought....does your camera have manual exposure capability and a remote shutter release (cordeless)? If so, you could set for the longest exposure time and trigger it without having to touch the camera. This comes to mind because my Oly has these features and I'm planning somethingsimilar also.....

And Vito, I'd be paranoid anywhere in Jersey too, camera or no camera. Surveilence cameras aremany placesanyway and we usually don't know about them (and I'm not paranoid anymore like I was in the 60's, it's true. George Orwell was only off by a couple of decades) We have satallites that can see a quarter on the ground.....LOL
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:37 AM   #16

Rg,

Yep, the Rebel does have this capabilitiy. Its not an expensive accessory, and you can even use some models of hands-free cellphone headsets if you have one instead of the official shutter release from Canon. But I think an admirable job was done in minimizing shake considering a finger was on it the whole time (though its scaled way down too, so maybe you can tell more at 3k x 2k).

Seth
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:17 AM   #17

Excellent work!

My first thought, before I read the comments was "what a great tripod!" Someone in another thread commented that a good tripod is at least as valuable as your lens. I'm beginning to believe them. The only way I'll take long exposures these days is with my camera's self-timer, and even then, I hope there isn't a strong gust. Sometimes I hang my camera bag down the centre of the tripod, and this helps a littls.

The shots themselves are great. I'm not bothered by the star effect at all. I like the disembodied streaks of light.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 3:44 PM   #18

Thanks, I think "camera" day and night now! I have a case of the "Shutterbug Virus" is there a cure for this?

I'm going to get the remote shutter for it and a flash and a zoom lenses. The auto mode is so great that it's easy to get good shots with no effort.

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|
freidaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:36 PM   #19

why would you want a cure?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 7:52 PM   #20

I'm with Vito.
Keyman is offline   Reply With Quote