Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:41 AM   #1

I have to admit to a bit of cheating: I took these pictures a few days before the challenge was announced. I have ESP as well as CRP
Attached Images

Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:43 AM   #2

Here's the other one. The faded and rusty gas pump hints at my age (closer to 50 than 40).
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:43 AM   #3

I am still trying to figure out the first one. I see a reflection of you with the camera and a cat sitting on a table or something. If you were trying for just the outdoor scene, a polarizing filter might have helped to remove the reflection. If you wanted the reflection, you need more light on the reflected subjects.

Another suggestion, when shooting through glass, it is good to get as close to the glass as possible. I often put the front of the filter or lens against the glass to minimize reflections and to keep any dirt on the glass from showing.

The second picture is very nostalgic. It's a good photograph, too! It has been a long time since I saw gasoline at 27 cents a gallon! When I learned to drive, gas was around 25 cents a gallon, but as a small child, I remember seeing 15 cents on the pump. Used to be, you could drive around town for a week on a dollar's worth of gas.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4

Thanks Cal. Do you remember when a pack of cigarettes and a gallon of gas would cost a dollar combined and provide entertainment for a couple of teenagers for a whole afternoon? (I don't smoke anymore and am definitely not promoting it for teens!!!!!!)

I was shooting for the juxtapostion of the real cat with the wooden carved cat on the table. When I looked at the photos (I took 2, my son, who is on the far right of the first picture, took 1) on my computer screen, the first thing I thought of was how much a polarizer would have helped! When I shot film with a 35mm SLR, I never left home without it! The second thing that would have helped would be for the shopkeeper to clean his store windows! (A barbershop, actually.) And third, a tripod may have helped.

By the time we had taken the third shot, the live cat had lost interest and moved away. Most of my picture taking nowadays is of the drive-by shooting variety. I don't have the luxury of setting up a shot; I shoot 'em as I sees 'em. Matter of fact, the only reason we happened upon this scene was because my car was in the shop and we walked somewhere we would normally drive. The chaos of that photo does reflect my life!

I'll try your suggestion of putting the lens to the glass if I am in a situation like that again and don't have accessories.

Here are a couple cropped and cleaned up a little in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5

Here's the other one.
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:04 PM   #6

Welcome to the 'hood chacha chick.....nice shots and yes the prices look familiar. I remember $0.27 gas,$0.08 aroll forT.P. and sold cigarettes for #0.45 a packat a store when I was in high school. A full size candybar was a nickel.....back to the shots.. I like the composition and how you described the whole incident. And, no, it isn't cheating to have taken pics before the challenge is posted. We don't check file dates or anything fancy like that so don't worry if you have an image that applies, post it......We don't all have the time or means to get out specially for these challenges. They're fun whether the shot is new or old....Welcome and stay around awhile...Bob
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:47 PM   #7

Thanks, Bob. I will stick around. These forums are very stimulating.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:30 PM   #8

Still suffering from CRP, but at least here I am not hiding behind the camera and my reflection. I did take this specifically for this challenge using the self-timer on my DX7440, the backlighting scene mode and a table for a tripod.
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:08 AM   #9

I had posted another self-portrait here, but I decided I didn't like it after all.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:47 PM   #10

Nice head o' hair, Kodak kid!

(in the first pic).

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote