Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:21 PM   #1

Chrysanthemums are primarily a fall flower in the midwest and are featured exhibits at our conservatories. These samples range from the diminutive, about the size of a quarter each ...

to the gigantic, about the size of a dinner plate....

Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:22 AM   #2

I simply love the colors and the way the first image is composed !
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:00 AM   #3

I haven't had much luck photographing flowers up close. Not getting the detail and selective focusing that you show. Are you using a macro setting? A preset or manual mode? Handheld or tripod? Flash or available light? Thanks for any suggestions you might have; I really like your shots.
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:09 PM   #4

Thank you both.....

Techinically speaking, I'm using an Olympus C5060WZ in Program mode, I'd have go to check the file details but flashwas on Auto also. I may have stepped down exposure about 1/3 because it was pretty bright in the conservatories. I like to bracket shoot, sometimes 3 or 4 adjusted manual changes even while maintainiing Auto-everything-else....I have to say that most of my closeups are autofocused, not in macro mode although periodically I do set to macro and have to manually focus.

Some of this is me, most is the characteristics I love about this camera....I also do very slight adjustments to brightness and contrast in software. If they need too much, I don't use them....

There are many more at my new webpage if you'd care to look around....www.freewebs.com/bobare

Thanks again for the kind compliments.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 3:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the details, Bob. Of course most of it is you; the camera does not know what to shoot. It has no software for composition. It wouldn't know a photo op from a tuna fish sandwich.

I checked out your Web site. In the thumbnails, some of the mums look like fireworks!
Rochchacha chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:29 PM   #6

Cute and inspirationalresponse chacha chick....check the Closeups section and my title Fireworks Mum....you got the idea......If you REALLY like this stuff, I have another posting site where you can see some of the others in regular vs thumbnail size. The freewebs doesn't have a "pop open the thumb" feature...

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d....asp?mem=61713