Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:59 AM   #1

This restoredsteam locomotive is at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois.

Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:06 AM   #2

Very well composed, RGRotts

Colors red and black contrast very nicely.

Also, the perspectively looking long down the rain is awesome.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks DCF. Just wish I had an equally decent shot of that red #2407 in the background. It's afairly rareAlcoRSD-15 sometimes called "The Alligator" due to it'scomparatively long nose....

Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:28 PM   #4

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Also,* the perspectively looking long down the rain is awesome.
You pretty much took my line there. How inconsiderate of you. :lol:

Is that train full gauge? It looks dinky with that light box.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:00 PM   #5

The website isn't clear at all about that unit. It almost looks narrow gauge, but in comparison to a few other shots I have, it is standard. Digging deeper, it is apparently originally an Illinois Central unit but it isn't numbered correctly, nor is it's wheel configuration correctly named. This museum is extremely thorough so I highly doubt there are documentation errors but I do see your point. Some units like this only saw light switching or short line usage. Much of the equipment at this museum is under restoration and in widely varying phases of restoration. Point being, this unit may not be completely restored.It's a truy fascinating place and a premiere rail museum in the whole US now. Check out the website if you get a chance.

http://www.irm.org/index.html
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:55 AM   #6

The light box looked big to me, that's why I asked. But then the 2407 behind it looks normal size. I was wondering if it was designed to be used at factories or power stations and the like, which could make smaller. There are lots of those still used over here. They get given a new lease of life chuffing people around at zoos.

I'm hardly a steam buff. :lol: I do appreciate them though and hope they never die out. It takes lots of money just to keep one going though doesn't it? God know how they find the funds for museums!
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:53 AM   #7

I agree, the light box is huge. Must have need a good strong beam for whatever it's duty was. Also with the smallattached tender, it's capacity for distancemust have beenquite imiited. Luckily, this museum has several operating steam locos, and many more in restoration. One of the more interesting stories is about the giant 4-8-4they moved from Chicago's south side out to the museum in the late 90's. 660,000 lbs on leapfrog track down city streets to the nearest mainline....
Old Jan 2, 2005, 12:38 AM   #8

Quite nice, you can almost imagine it starting to huff and pull out of the station :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote