Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:21 AM   #1

Quick shot after deplaning the "old-fashioned" way.

Attached Images

Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:45 AM   #2

hmm...i've never been on a plane (wow, so deprived!), so i don't know either way :-p

nice shot though

it amazes me that something that big, that ways that much, can fly!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:59 AM   #3

That's not even one of the bigger planes. The MD-88 we flew from Detroit to Atlanta (and from Atlanta back to Detroit) on the same trip is not really all that big either, but it's fairly bigger than the ATR 72, and it accelerates like nothing else I've ever been on. (This is only the second time I've flown in anything besides little Cessnas/Pipers and helicopters at places that offer "plane rides" or "helicopter rides.")

When I see a 747-400 or an Airbus A330 or 340, I'm amazed they get off the ground.

("the old-fashioned way" refers to the stairs at the rear of the plane--in the old days of flying, one boarded and left the plane either by stairs built into the plane or via a set of stairs they wheeled up to the plane. Most airliners now are boarded/deplaned by means of a "jetway," a movable tunnel from the airport terminal right to the door of the plane, so you don't get to walk on the ground or even see much of the plane.)

Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:06 AM   #4

Even some of the small planes can be boarded via a jetway. I took a flight in a DASH-8 plane a couple of years ago where one of the airports had standard jetways to board/unboard those planes. The other end of the flight was the normal (for this size of aircraft) way walking on the tarmac.

And even on regular large aircraft sometimes it is necessary to use the old-fashioned way.A flight I took some years ago on a MD-80 plane (a bit smaller than a 727) was a perfect flight, great weather, perfect landing. Then on the terminal, some malfunction in the jetway prevented it from being attached to the plane and we had to get out of the plane through the aft stairs built into the plane. Not all jet planes have those... if it was a bigger plane we would probably have to be relocated to another gate or they would have to bring one of those movable stairs.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:05 AM   #5

We boarded the little CRJ-700 from Atlanta to Panama City (FL) from the ramp via stairs, but at PFN we deplaned via a jetway. Then, coming home, we boarded the ATR through a jetway and deplaned using stairs. I think Atlanta just didn't have a jetway low enough for either plane.

In 2003 my wife and I flew to Denver and back for a wedding reception in a Spirit MD-82. A passenger was having asthma problems on the return flight, so when we got back to Detroit they took her off via the aft stairway while the rest of us lined up to exit through the jetway.