Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:40 PM   #1

I got the opportunity to take some pictures of this wonderful car today.
Attached Images

pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:44 AM   #2

That's a very nice photo..very crisp. Although I must say that those slots at the front of the car... the divots/indentations would contribute to air resistance and turbulence maybe. ie..the sections on the left and right of the mouth of the cooler intake for the air.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 2:38 PM   #3

I will assume the image was taken in a museum, hence little control of the lighting. The frontal shot and angle of the shot is cool. The first thing that came to me, was crop the image so the car fills the frame of the image. This may or may not work but Ilike totry different approaches with my images. It is my style and not necessarily suited to others.

I like the angle.

Rod
Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4

Thank you Rod. I adjusted the angle 2 degrees right, used some file flash, and cropped per your suggestion. I like every thing but the dust in the intake duct. You are correct that this is a muesum collection. I loved have loved to be able to get this car outside.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:18 PM   #5

I would like to know what you think of these two pictures please. I am trying to compose my shots better.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:19 PM   #6

And the next.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:06 PM   #7

The second image of Mclarens' car looks great. The dust does distract but you could not control that parameter.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"My thoughts on the two other images.

I would crop the image to the left of the Corvette emblem, such that it rests close to the gold third. The is a difficult exposure, the camera "thinks" black is 18% gray and over exposed the image about 3 f:stops, hence any detail is lost. One aspect I like about digital photography is the "film" is resusable. I tend to bracket my shots, as well as adjust the exposure toone side or the other of the camera setting. When I shot snow scenes, I open the exposure up by about 2 f:stops or EV units. In this case, Iwould have stopped down 2 EV units and 3 EV units in an attempt to capture some detail in the blacks. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and sometime my foresight is not that good. The important thing is, you are photographing.

The MG is interesting but the lengthing of the hood and the windshield are distractions for me. If it were my image I would crop some of the hood out of the photo. If I went back to the museum, I would reshot the image, at a lower angle and include more of the bumpers in the shot. This is my opinion. One of the beauties behind our craft is there are may interpretation of a subject and all are equally right.

I am constantly trying to improve my work and constantly looking at the work of the really good photographers.Even when I watch a movie, I look at the lighting and the angles, as well as the"tightness" of the shot. My photographer professor friend of mine, told me to keep the shot tight and I am constantly working on that aspect of my craft.

One question that I hear when someone sees a great shot is, "What camera, lens and film did you use?" Good equipment is nice but there are photographers who use a pin-hole camera and produce work that is pure art and craft. The camera captures the image and the photographer makes the image. I am still trying to "make an image."

Keep up the good work.

Rod

P.S. The following website is excellent: http://www.arraich.com/.

Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:16 PM   #8

wow...that's hot!

i really like the third image...the angle and simplicity are great

the last one is pretty nice, but i agree with rod about the windshield...

very nice

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote