Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1

Instead of pulling out my pictures from last summer's car shows, I decided to try something that is challenging for me. I have trouble with close-up/macro shots. My biggest problem is the lighting followed closely by getting the focus exactly where I want it. My setup is a Nikon CP5000 and I recently purchased a Nikon SB-600 flash. I know the flash is overkill for this camera, but I bought it knowing I want to upgrade cameras in the near future. I spent about an hour trying different angles and settings with the flash. And here is one of the better pictures, in my opinion.

The camera with left in auto-focus with the Aperature set to F5 and the shutter at 1/60. The flash was pointed straight at the car with the built in diffuser in place. I also set the flash to the lowest possible output. The only post processing is cropping re-sizing and converting to a jpeg. (My appologies for the jpeg artifacts across the hood.)

To conserve bandwidth here is a link to a second picture. http://home.comcast.net/~ericstill/landy.jpg

In this one I turned the flash and bounced it off the ceiling, this allowed me to open up the aperature to F2.8 without causing too much of a reflection. The best pictures I could come up with were a little dark, but I think that would improve with some sort of a backdrop.

Without sharing what my close-up shots used to look like these are a vast improvement. This new flash appears to have solved part of my lighting problems, and my next step is to set up some type of a backdrop and try these again. As for the focus, the only thing I can come up with next to to begin playing with the manual focus. Which really isn't that much fun with this camera. So my question is am I headed in the right direction? Any additional tips would also be appreciated.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:31 PM   #2

It looks like you're getting there. I wouldn't have reduced the aperture though. It looks like the dof is a bit shallow here. I'd also suggest sorting out a base and backdrop. Even bed sheets will do. Just make sure there are few creases if you're using a light colour and keep it as far away from the subject as you can is it's a course weave. It'll only leave the car to focus on.

I find manual focus with digitals to be a big pain in the bum. It's very hard to get it spot on.

Have you thought about not using the flash? Instead using a desk lamp and keeping the shutter open for longer? Even four seconds? You may find focusing easier as you'll have constant light on it rather than none with the flash.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice on the backdrop. I'll give that a try.

As for the longer shutter, the CP5000 really doesn't seem to like it. I have yet to try it with controlled lighting, but my night shots usually come out very grainy. Though I will admit it is probably user error. I do have a couple of small halogen desk lamps that I could try though.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:23 AM   #4

You might also try stepping back a little bit and letting the depth of feild of a longer focal length do its' job.. Macros are great for some things and yours is at least as good as any others I've seen of a model. But, you have to remember that when you get that close, you are limiting your sharpness. Step back and crop the photo would be my suggestion.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote