Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is a good idea to encourage critique in this forum?
Yes 52 96.30%
No 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:39 PM   #21

well, the purpose of this forum, is to grow and learn as photographers..

you can't learn and grow if everything is "hey, that's a nice shot...."

if comments don't go past that, then it's not following the purpose of the forum, and really not doing the photographer any good..

although it's not particularly fun to get a harsh critique, if you go into it with the right attitude (like the critique is there to help you..not just beat you up for no reason) it can be very helpful..

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:09 AM   #22

This forum was begun for the sole purpose of challenging people to improve their photography. Without feedback, there's no point.

Criticism is tough to take, but if we sit back for a moment and think before we fire off something defensive when criticized, it'll all work out...as long as those with negative comments remember how it feels to be on the receiving end.

--Barbara

P.S. Alan, greetings from one curmudgeon to another.:-)
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:21 PM   #23

I'm a beginner. I don't like criticism but I understand its need. When I first started writing creatively my English Prof told me the problem with beginners is that, they never know how to judge their own work. You don't know what is good or bad because you are just learning. That is what teachers are for, to tell you when you have done well and show you where you need to improve. I hope there are bunches of teachers here. Because I don't have a clue what I'm doing.:lol:
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:48 PM   #24

Plain Jane,

We've all been there. I've been shooting for over 30 years (1.5 years digital) and I am still learning. If I ever stop learning, it is because I am dead or too incapacitated to operate the camera. If/when that happens, they might as well go ahead and put me in the ground!

Critiquing and criticism here in the forums takes many forms. There have been times when I have been too harsh with my comments and I offended someone. That was certainly not my intent and since then, I have tried to keep myself in check.

If someone make a comment that offends you, try to put your feelings aside and learn from the comment. If you are not sure what was meant, ask! The only dumb question is the one not asked.

I wish you well. Show us some pictures.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote