Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is a good idea to encourage critique in this forum?
Yes 52 96.30%
No 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:02 AM   #1

Vito and myself were talking about challenges and such (incidentally, if you have any ideas for challenges feel free to send them to us) and we got onto the subject of replies and photo critique. We have noticed an increase in challenge entries but not so much on the reply side of things. We've put that down to there being so many topics and people not knowing what to say. At the moment most replies consist of how well the photo fits the challenge. Obviously, after someone has said it's a good entry few people are going to want to repeat that. We were wondering how you guys felt about replies leaning towards critique as well.

First off, what is critique in this context? Critique is when you look at a photograph someone has posted and you comment on that photograph. You give your view on the exposure, the composition and generally how well it was taken.
What isn't critique? Telling someone their photograph is rubbish. That is abuse. Any post we feel to be abusive or spiteful will be removed. We don't expect any, but you never know. We do read every post made in the forum. Not following up your views on the photograph with advice. For instance, saying that it is a bit under-exposed, although not abuse, isn't helpful in the sense you haven't explained why you think it is under-exposed and how you think they could correct that issue.

As I said, we both feel that this could increase the amount of replies, but more importantly help each of us learn. None of us know everything and it is always helpful to look at your photo through someone else's eyes. Theoretically, it'll increase the variety of replies as well. Rather than "Yup, good entry." and "I don't really see how that fits the challenge." Although, if that is all you have to say about a photograph, then feel free to say it.
When I personally reply to a post, I try not to give advice on how it was taken unless it is asked for. estill's most recent topic being an example.

Rather obviously, not all photographs are suitable for critique. Some are taken just for fun without any intention of being the best photograph ever taken. Some people just don't want their photographs to be looked at in that way either. Fair enough. If you do not want that then simply say so in you post and we won't make those comments.

So with this poll, can you please select yes or no to the following question.
Do you feel it is a good idea to encourage critique in this forum?

Thank you for reading this post. And feel free to add your comments below.

ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:22 AM   #2

Thank you very much for looking into this, and explaining it clearly.

Might it be an idea for those of us who alway welcome crits on our pix to have somesort of ref we could put after our signatures?Sometimes for me the most valuable comments have been from friends commenting things I thought were fine.

All the best,

Canna

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:27 AM   #3

Funny you should mention this as Ive just got back from our local photography club and for the first time had the critique 18 photos. We (the club) need 12 shots to go away for a big competition and we had 18. We were not allowed to say anything while doing this and could not critique on our own shots.

out of five we rate, Impact, technical and composition. The scores will be added up and the lowest six are out.To tell the truth I found it rather hard to do and I do hope at least one of my photos gets to go away. Doing this online may be a good way to learn by watching others comments.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:39 AM   #4

I would suggest that if you welcome the critique, that you say so when posting, rather than the other way around. Just a thought. That way you're inviting additional comments to the photo, rather than discouraging comments.

I like the idea ofencouragingconstructive critisism, or tips on how to improve shots. Like you said, no one knows it all, and sometimes others see things in your shots that you didn't. Good idea.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

Good luck Julie.

Quote:
Might it be an idea for those of us who alway welcome crits on our pix to have some sort of ref we could put after our signatures?
Quote:
I would suggest that if you welcome the critique, that you say so when posting, rather than the other way around. Just a thought. That way you're inviting additional comments to the photo, rather than discouraging comments.
A system where people say that they want their photo to be critiqued is what we have right now. The problem being, that if it isn't asked for it, in general, won't be put forward. The result is that people who forget to add it (and it does happen) to their post only get replies of "good entry" and the thread sinks.
If it is the other way around, where people have to say they don't want critique, then every post is opened up to a broader range of replies and the photos of the most interest get the most replies. I hope that didn't sound patronising and that you get what I'm trying to say. In general, we want people (and the poll will let us know if it is wanted) to feel free to comment on the actual photo, not just how well it fits the challenge, if you get me. Of course, people will forget to ask for photos not to be critiqued. But they normally stand out with people saying "Just a quick shot I fired off" or something similar. I wouldn't really expect anyone to get offended if they didn't want critique and some was given either. The user base here is so friendly that anyone would quickly point out that it was all done in good faith.

We don't have signatures here Canna. they're switched off.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:11 PM   #6

On a serious note (as they say in Satellite radio....? :blah

A code!

CSTW

C=comments

S=suggestions

T=tweaks (photo worked on by other than thread author and placed on thread)

W= Welcome

Simple.

If you don't want tweaks, then...

CSW

On a less serious note (like your first tuba lesson)

If you don't want nuttin from nobody never, then...

GFY*

:blah:

* someone asked what GFY means...so...here it is..GFY = GoFoto Yourself!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:58 AM   #7

You expect ME to remember that list digcamfan? :shock::lol:

And I thought GFY stood for Gophers For Yerinals (hey, they're gophers, they can't spell very well). The campaign to get the small rodents on an even footing with badgers in terms of public conveniences.

Seeing as the poll is stacked so heavily toward "yes" and it's the second week of the challenge I think I'll start trying to critique entries.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:58 PM   #8

Critique is the onlymeansthatmany of us have to learnabout our creativeoptions. I view critique as a suggestion for improvement, and whether or not I agree, utilize or learn anything from that,is my choice. Ifwe don't agree with a critique,weshould nottake it personally or respond defensively.If we were doing this for a Grade Point Average, it would matter, but in this theater, no one knows the qualifications of one another other than learned or earned respectfor one another. That respect comes from hanging around a while and participating. Sometimes, any reply is welcome, for the mere fact that someone cares enough to say something. Critique should be phrased in such a way that the recipient feels positive about the intent. Anything less is criticism, and istotally unwelcome and contradictory to the intent of these forums.....
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:18 AM   #9

Yes, I agree with you. A good critique is most welcome. That will help improve the skills of beginners like me. Monitoring and removing abusive ones is a bonus.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:10 AM   #10

Definately in favour. How about we have a seperate area set up for people to share photos and advice?

This is of particular interest to me as a learning photographer. I have lots of ideas and I try them out but for one reason or another they don't fully work. I'd love to have the opportunity to show them and get advice on what i could do differently.

Because I'm interested, I'd like to offer comments to other people's photos, but I'd perhaps be a little less likely to offer critique because I wouldn't feel 'qualified' to offer it perhaps ?!
hotchilidamo is offline   Reply With Quote