Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Found this box of hybrid pears in the kitchen :-) Not a good photograph nor quite inline with the challenge. I created the image for a lesson I contrived to practice layer masks in Photoshop CS.

Enjoy,

Rod

Rod Bruckdorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:39 AM   #2

I think you need to take them back! They don't look right.
Except that bottom left one. The gold may be worth a bit.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:28 AM   #3

Ferny:

I just "cruised" your website and really like the emulsion lifts - artistic and very nice. I am interest in making digital negatives and contact printing using the Van Dyke Process. I developed a tritone process in Photoshop which is a close emulation to the wet process.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Enjoy,

Rod

Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:43 AM   #4

I should remove the link from my profile. I've had a few people look at it and as you can see, it certainly isn't anywhere near finished. :lol:
Thanks for looking.

The emulsion lifts are done with 669 Polaroid film. You can see the method here.
I'll be honest, I know almost nothing about darkrooms and what's involved in different processes. I've only just got a dev tank for myself. One day I'll get an enlarger and start to do some proper work. One day...
Until then, I'll float around picking up the odd bit of info and admiring good photographs and artwork, like yours.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:43 PM   #5

Ferny:

I did darkroom work over 20 years ago but after switching to digital image capture in 2004and working in the Lightroom with Photoshop CS, I question the need to return to the darkroom. I suspect the initial cost of equipment is about par with a good computer but operational costs are considerable higher. Further, one has to have a place to work.

There will always be a place for film, but digital imagery is here to stay and becoming better and better. Granted, there is nothingso magical as seeing a print develop and I do miss that aspect of photography but I can do more in the Lightroom than every Icould manage in the darkroom and faster.

If you want to experiment with a wet process, one can make digital negatives on an inkjet printer then do contact printing using several different processes which are cheap and require a minimum expense.

Check out http://unblinkingeye.com/

Thanks for the kind words about my work. As with you, I constantly look at other photographer's work then I look at my work and try to work harder to improve my craft.

Keep on experimenting and keep your website active. I do like the emulsion lifts.

Warmest Regards,

Rod

P.S. I just looked at the Polaroid site at www.polaroid.com. The creative webpage was very interesting. Emulsion lifts are very "cool" because print making papers with all their different textures and colors can be used as the base matrix - very neat and thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the link. I'll take a proper look when I get more time.

With regards to the darkroom. I've always enjoyed getting my hands dirty and fiddling. I guess people who like messing around in darkrooms can be compared to people who like old cars. They're messier, slower, and dirtier but somehow have a certain charm. The cars and the darkrooms that is. Not the people.
I love both digital and film. They both have a similar purpose but I regard both as completely different. A bit like a fridge and a freezer. Both keep your food cold but some things are best in a freezer, some better off in a fridge. I post on another forum where both digital and film are welcome. Some people there think digital cameras are the work of the devil. :lol: