Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:21 AM   #1

The hard part about shooting the moon, at least with my camera, is that it's tough to know if it's in focus or not until I can see it on a big screen.I only have a 6x zoom, so I throw all the pixelsat it and crop it back. This is a little soft, but I shot it this morning specifically for this weeks challenge. If we get another clear sky during hte challenge I'll probably do it right.

Fujifilm s7000
Shutter Priority
Shutter Speed 1/750
Aperature F3.4
ISO 2000
Attached Images

Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:55 PM   #2

Why don't you just focus to infinity? Or are you worried about mist/cloud that you can't see at first?
I assumed you used shutter priority because the moon is so bright?
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:28 PM   #3

I'm not real happy with the s7000's infinity focus. To get it, you have to go into scene priority mode, select landscape, then hit the auto focus with the lens cap on. Then select the mode you want to really shoot in. It's something less than fool proof.

Yes, I used shutter priority because of the brightness of the moon. I've done better moon shots, but I usually do them in fully manual mode. Someone here wrote a great how-to (or maybe they linked to a great how-to)a while back (inthe Fuji forum), so since then I abandoned letting the camera have control of anything and just selecting all the settings manually. This was probably the first time I've tried this in Shutter Priority mode.

If you get the opportunity and have either a long lens or a ton of megapixels you can throw at it, I recommend giving it a shot. Put your camera on a tripod and take a dozen or so pictures over a ten minute period, and you'll actually see the moon move in the sky. You'd never detect that with your own eye. It's kinda fun in a geeky science experement way.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:56 AM   #4

So you can't just set manual focus from the camera menu and away you go? That seems really odd.

I've always planned to take moon photos. But it's one of those "Oh, the moon. I'll grab my camera after I finish this." and then it goes out of your head kinda things.
The lens on the camera I have is 290mm and it's 3.2mp I think. I should get something.

One thing people like to do with film is record star movements. You leave the shutter open and you get lines where the stars have moved. Depending on where you point the camera you can get circles to.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:45 AM   #5

You can focus manually with the focus ring, but I find it hard to tell when it's really in focus in the EVF, especially with something like this, because it's just a small dot in large field of black.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 11:22 AM   #6

all you have to do, is push the focus ring all the way out...

if you want, you could put your hand in front of the lens...and focus on it...when you focus on it, twist it the opposite direction all the way to the end

that's infinity...

i'll have to try moon shots again, when i get my new lens...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:44 AM   #7

Here's another go at the moon this morning. It was foggy & cloudy, but I managed to capture it in a hole in the clouds.

Fujifilm s7000
Shutter Priority
ISO 200
F3.1
Shutter Speed: 1/256th

Shot at 12MP and cropped back. No resizing.
Attached Images