Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:29 PM   #1

This is a slight rule violation in that it was shot several years ago on 35mm print film. There used to be a highway that ran along the South side of the Columbia River though the Gorge. It was a narrow curvy two-lane road and was the only highway that went east out of Portland toward Idaho. That was long before Interstate 84 was built. Most of the "Scenic Columbia River Highway" still exists and is still maintained primarily for tourists. There is a section that went though a series of tunnels near the town of Mosier. With time, the tunnels deteriorated and there were caveins. The tunnels were closed to traffic and blocked with boulders and rock. A few years ago, a project was undertaken to shore up and restore these old tunnels and make a hiking path out of that section of the road--no motor vehicles allowed. There are viewing windows inside two of the tunnels and at one end is a concrete snowshed. This is a heavy concrete roof supported by the mountain on one side and pillars on the river side. This showshed protects the path from snow and rock slides. This is a shot looking into the showshed. The picture was shot for the shadows and patterns. It is probably one of only two or three shadow pictures I have shot in the past five years. I will try to shoot more during the next few days, weather permitting.

Scanned 35mm negative.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2

awesome shot great pattern! the shadows rock
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:53 AM   #3

That was shot on film within the last five years? I thought you'd been into digital for a while and had no idea you shot film so recently.
It's very good. I like the way the pillars vanish and their slight lift just before they curve off.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:38 AM   #4

Naw, Ferny. I've only been doing digital for about a year and a half. I got my Minolta S414 in the Summer of 2003 and my Nikon D100 in December 2003. I was shooting 35mm for about 30 years prior to that.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:06 AM   #5

I LOVE what the shadow has done to the railing -- it's created another dimention onto the pillars-- almost looks like there is a diagonal texture engraved onto each one. Super!
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:34 PM   #6

I just want to commend you on a really nice image. This is excellent usage of available shadows. Interesting scene it is.
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote