Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2

very cool

nicely spotted

looks like he lost the shoe laces :-p

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:37 AM   #3

Ooo, that's good. The exposure looks just right to. That bag must have given you problems. I like texture in photos. There is plenty here.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:29 AM   #4

Meryl, I think I have had another peek at this photo at least 6 times today. The story (or more accurately lack thereof) behind it fascinates me. A homeless person without their boots in the Toronto winter? no . . .even if given another, better pair they would retain these as , I dunno, currency?Then again, maybe just a teenager who bought new Nikes and put them on in the park, discarding his old boots . . but then why take the laces? What a mystery!This is going to keep me awake nights :?:?:?:?
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:43 PM   #5

I worked with the homeless for many years when I was younger. Boots are fairly easy to come by because there are many hostels and clothing banks that will give free clothing to those in need. Proper fit, however, is another matter. Boots that area bit too smallcan sometimes be worn if you take the laces out but the slipping eventually causes blisters.

Laces can be more valuable than boots since the kind of string that you find in the trash isn't always good enough. Either it stretches in the wet weather and eventually comes loose or breaks too easily because of friction with the eyelets. If new boots were found, the laces could be essential to using them...especially if they were too big but didn't leak.

Why were these boots just left there? I used to say that only the very, very rich or the very, very poor could afford to throw away perfectly good clothes. The Rich could always buy more at the store and the Poor could always find some charity to give to them. This little park was only a block from one of our major cathedrals and probably would have a clothing for the homeless program.

On the other hand, a person might be in the sort of mental state that they simply wandered off...barefoot...without knowing what they were doing.

It is a mystery and the start of a lot of potential stories.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:01 PM   #6

Thanks Meryl for sharing some info I had not known about. Still, no matter what direction the story goes, it includes some sobering thoughts. At the very least, time to do a closet-clean and donate some excess items. Thanks for posting this, sometimes we need to be reminded.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote