Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:17 PM   #1

Here is a skull hanging on the side of a friends barn. Can you guess what kind of critter?
Attached Images

tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2

hmm..never thought i'd say this...but i think this may have too much contrast :-D

the wood texture rocks, and the b/w works well, but i think a bit less contrast, to get some detail in the shadows..

i'm thinking a bull's head?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3

Hmmm You stated HC B+W for this post. So far all I have seen are flat digital facsimilies of something that is'nt B&W nor high contrast. This image is a very good example ( or more properly stated rendering) of a split lith print softly deved to produce an interesting slope in gamma. You might want to go back to some of the "Old School" way of thought when you put these challenges out. I studied under some of the greats in black and white photgraphy and I still shoot very large format and print in Platinium (by the way I teach it too, about 20 years). Some how you didn't get your point across.

I take these challenges as vebatim in thier staement as I did long ago when I was in film school. And I like the challenge now as I hated then.

By the way , you really need to learn how to properly critque. It is an art form in its own right.

following might be something more to your vision, but, it is not a HC B+ W
Attached Images

tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

sure it's high contrast, you still have bright whites, and deep shadows..

would you like to give an example of a 'proper critique', because i'm sure i could do it, i just choose to critique my way..

Vito
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:56 AM   #5

Without trying to offend anyone, I think the critique question boils down to age and experience. Granted, there are different styles and different likes and dislkes.

Vito, you are young and have a huge job in front of you, acting as a moderator in this forum. You are doing your best which is all anyone can ask. Listen to what people with more experience have to say. I don't know if you have ever shot film but years of shooting film puts one in a different mindset from those who have only shot digital. Digital is a different ballgame from film but the old rules and techniques are still valid and valuable.

Tim, I know where you are coming from but I suspect that even an experienced photographer such as yourself learns things from these forums. I know I do. I try to help people along the way. I get as much out of these forums as I put into it. BTW, I like the first shot the best!

OK, enough! Let's go shoot some pictures and for those so inclined, Photochop them when you are done. :lol:

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:35 PM   #6

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:00 PM   #7

Hmmm... I am a complete newbie here but I can tell you what a critical eye sees in both. The first picture is high contrast but it seems just a bit too roughed up. There are spots in the skull and in the wood that I would prefer to look softer. But that is just personal preference.

The second photo doesn't have the same feel. But it has more of the texture in the wood that I think is visually appealing.

So, I don't know if you tweaked the picture but what I would like to see is a spot focus (for lack of better words)on the skull that bring the details out in that particular spot but leaves the wood with a little softer look. That would seem to make it a little less extreme in contrast while still having the contrast there that gives the feel to the photo.

Or would over exposing the picture and then tweaking the contrast worked better for the spots in the skull? That way, the skull would have lessshadows to work around inediting.

What do you think?

Forgive me if I'm over stepping my *cough*boundries in the fact that I am new to photography.

And doesn't high contrast have little to no grey tones? Are shadows grey tones? I thought high contrast was more like say... a zebra. (There I go again with more questions)

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:06 PM   #8

it seems there is a problem with the term 'high contrast'..

to me...high contrast isn't pure black and pure white...but still has greys...

but not flat either...

the point of the challenges are to become better/stronger photographers...so the challenge is basically a guideline to which pictures are posted, and critiques aren't gonna be based on how they would better fit with the challenge (hence my critique above)...

the first is much better for the challenge, but i feel it is a bit too strong contrast...

but the second is a bit too flat for me...so somewhere in the middle would be good...

cal...i don't see wat age has to do with it...experience yes...but not age..

i'm 16 and know much more about photography than a lot of people older than me do...

Vito

Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:32 PM   #9

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:41 PM   #10

i apologize for my above comments...i was kinda mad about the critique comment...and my comments after that were very "into myself"

so i'm sorry for that..

what i mean about the challenges though

were, that, i'm going to critique according to what will look better, or be more effective, not necessarily what will fit the challenge better...

again, i'm sorry for my comments above...
Vito