Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 21, 2005, 9:39 AM   #11

I cant see any photos:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12

So you can see how the printing of photos in books harms those photos, I just did a very high quality scan of a beautifully printed full size Ansel Adams photograph. The book's quality is exceptional, but I know that the original photographhas a wider tonal range than what I'm seeing.Here you can see the full photo, and in the next post is a small section that clearly shows the offending screen.

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 11:33 AM   #13

The screen that destroys some of the tones:

Attached Images

Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:52 AM   #14

Originally, I'd planned to reveal all on Tuesday, but I changed my mind because I thought it would be good to have a chance to discuss things before we head out to try our own eyes, hands, and cameras on tree photos.

Perhaps more can be revealed than just who did each photo. Are we judging a picture according to its own merits or are we judging itaccording to our personal bias? It's doubtful we can (or even should) get rid of that bias, but when we're analyzing pictures placed here by members of the forum, we'd do well to keep that bias to a bare minimum.What does our opinion of treeor sunsetor barn picturestell the photographer? Absolutely nothing. Even when it comes to technique, the question isn't whether or not we like a particular technique; the question is how well the person used the technique and how it might be used even better.

The criticisms of the seven photos were really all over the place. They went from "I don't like it" on up to Sergio's outstanding analysisand Mitchcl's wonderful interpretation.They deserve a round of applausefrom the rest of us.

Okay, time to post who's who and what's what.

--Barbara
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:31 PM   #15

I am surprised. I thought at least one of the photos was by Ansel Adams.

OK, are we supposed to post our tree pictures now with a subject line starting with "Trees"?

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:41 PM   #16

hold on till wednesday cal...
if you have any comments on the photos, now that you know who they are, and why they were taken, you can post them today and tomorrow (and later i guess )

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:54 PM   #17

Vito, Barbara, et. al.
I like the way this challenge is being handled. Not the showing of professional work but the idea that the person who suggested the challenge is actively participating in moderating it. I think it might be a great idea in the future to tell who suggested the challenge and ask that person to play an active part in moderating and critiquing the challenge.

Oh nuts! What have I just let myself in for?? :lol:

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:39 PM   #18

hmm..i like the idea cal..

of course, it's always a joy to have barbara back posting...maybe i should accept more ideas for challenges from her

your idea would work well, because sometimes, in the description someone gives me for their idea, i might read it differently than they wrote it...and the challenge would end up different than the original idea...

good thinking man

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote