Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:15 PM   #1

Beloware seven photos of trees, most done by professionals, but not all.Tell uswhich ones you think are of professional quality and which aren't, making sure to explain why you came to these conclusions. You're free to say anything you please because absolutely no one's feelings will be hurt by your opinions.

Trees were chosen because they give no clue to time or place and because, without animal life, there's nothing to distract the eye from photographic quality. Just the tree is there along with the photographer's skill or lack of it.

As we explore the photography of others, we actually explore our own photography, defining for ourselves what we find important and beautiful in an image.

If any of you recognize a photo, please keep it to yourself, not even hinting that you know anything whatsoever. At the end of the challenge, all will be revealed.

(a guest challengefrom Bcoultry...the original moderator )

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

Is this a one-week challenge or did you goof the date range again!
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:57 PM   #3

haha, you caught me

it's a split up challenge...

we critique for a week (woah, i'm a poet and don't knowit)

and then the next week i'll let you post your own tree shots from what you learned from reading and writing your critiques..

Vito
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:41 AM   #4

Hey Vito! You posted the pictures in reverse order!:-)

(Hello to everyone! Did you think I could stay away forever?)

Note on the seven tree photos: There's been a certain amount of degradation in the pictures because of downsizing them and compressing them. You should take this into account in your analyses, assuming that the tones are a bit smoother in the originals than in the reproductions.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:54 AM   #5

lol, didn't think ahead, and post the seventh first...nowing they'd sink to the bottom when the next one came up..
:-p

Vito
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6

Vito, I think you could reverse the order by temporarily unlocking them and posting a "bump" to each starting with #7. Then lock them again.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:47 AM   #7

I don't think it matters.. They're all numbered, as long as they stay up top with the challange, people are bright enough to figure it out..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:29 PM   #8

Thanks for this challenge.I love trees but too bad I just got my 20D and dont know too much about it.So I will have to break out the 3040 and see what I can :-)do.

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:37 PM   #9

Striderxl wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for this challenge.I love trees but too bad I just got my 20D and dont know too much about it.So I will have to break out the 3040 and see what I can :-)do.
No, Charlie! Go for it! Don't let that newfangled contraption intimidate you. Wrestle it to the ground and show it who's boss. Besides, it's a great camera.

--Barbara
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:38 AM   #10

Some of the statements have made me realize that I'd better be clearer about the source of these photographs. By and large, they were scanned from books, and this needs to be taken into account. There's no way of not losing detail and tonal range,a lotof which was already lost when the photos were printed--one of the processes for reproduction involves laying a screen over the original.

Take the above into account when you're looking at the pictures. If it's lack of detail that's bothering you, be aware that the original likely had a lot more. However, when it comes to composition, to the placement of object, the direction of movement, etc., it's all there. Just can't hide that sort of thing.

I'm also amending a promise, which was to reveal the names of all the photographers except one. I will not reveal the authors of the two amateur photos. It simply wouldn't be right to do so. Professional photographers put their work out there with full confidence in themselves and in their ability; not so for amateurs.

--Barbara