Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:39 AM   #11

Something that strikes me here with the comment about over-exposure is that--and aside from this picture--exposure is only "over" or "under" when it detracts from the purpose of the photo. There are certain kinds of photos wherein the photographer is forced to make a choice. Snow scenes are ripe for such decisions. In this picture, if the photographer was bent on showing snowiness, he or she would have exposed for the snow, which would necessarily have under-exposed the tree. It would appear that the photographer was more concerned with the grace of that branch and maybe with something akin to the courage of a tree surrounded by all that cold and lifeless (no texture) snow.

It's been interesting to see how each of us reacts to a photograph. No matter how hard we try, we can't eliminate the little biases that have been shaped by personal experience. I keep trying to erasemy ownbias, but all I've managed so far is to recognize its existence.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:56 AM   #12

This is one of the two non-professional photographs. Here's what I know about it: It was taken during a snowstorm. Spot metering was done on the tree, which meant the snow had to be blown out. The person was fascinated by how the tree stood like a fencer, one arm extended with the sword, the other (only barely indicated here) held up and behind. He wasn't looking for the soul of the tree but for how else the tree could be seen.

This photo brings up the question of what a photograph is supposed to be. A document of outer reality? A statement about inner reality?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote