Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:46 PM   #1

This is a scanned 35mm negative shot in 1999. When I shot this, there were several ways I could have composed it. A straight-on shot of the tree would be uninteresting. A shot with the canyon behind the tree wouldn't work, either. This shot shows a tree hanging on to life. The tree is probably at least 20 years old. The soil has eroded under it but is firmly anchored.

The canyon in the background shows the erosion process on a grand scale. It helps to emphasize what this tree is doing to live.

I've said enough. Now you speak!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:02 PM   #2

AWESOME man!

thanks for kicking us off!

this is great man...the composition is great...for my tastes, i probably would've zoomed out, or stepped backwards (as long as you don't lose your angle down into the canyon) to get the whole tree in..

but, i really like this man...the tree's bright green goes really well with the canyon's red..

the roots show it's "walking away" very well

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:03 PM   #3

I couldn't backup. There was a guard rail directly in front of where I was standing.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4

haha, had a feeling

well, then scratch that...looks great man

well seen

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:00 AM   #5

Looks like heisjust waiting the right momentto jump.

Actually, a great picture
coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:52 AM   #6

I think the pic is great Calr. Stunning!

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:20 AM   #7

Cal, that is one heck of a great photo. The tree is hanging on by its very toenails,surviving through sheer determination and courage. You saw it, you thought about it, and then you photographed it. My hat's off to you.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:45 PM   #8

calr wrote:
Quote:
Now you speak!

Bit difficult with a shot as breathtakingly stunning as this one !!!!

Your final choice of composition is without doubt the right one, (when I try to envisagethe alternatives), showing the tree's home eroding all around it. It leaves me wondering, as it probably gets a wee bit windy on occasion, is the tree still there ?

What also makes this a fantastic shot for me is the canyon, nothing like it here in UK. Thanks for a wonderful picture Cal.

Stevekin.

P.S. Is it just me,or can anyone one else see the rock family out for a walk immediately below the tree as it looks down the slope ?

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:52 PM   #9

Yes, I see what you are talking about. There are many such scenes in the canyon. When my wife and I went there, we hiked from the location where this picture was taken, all the way to the bottom of the canyon. We had many choices of trails and we took a gentle path that was about a mile in length and drops about 500-800 ft in elevation. The hike back was much more strenuous and included a series of a half dozen steep switchbacks. The scenery everywhere in the canyon is spectacular. There is one famous rock formation called Thor's Hammer that is not to miss.

If you ever have a chance to visit Utah, there are several National Parks and Monuments with scenery like this. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is just about an hours drive from the location in this picture.

OK, I know this is not the travelogue forum so I am off to look for another tree pictue.

Cal