Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:16 PM   #1

hey guys...

although nothing particularly new..(see bcoultry's post lol)

this was the only image i got today that i would consider a 'success'..

my thoughts for this one, would be to show the "new life" immerging from the hibernating tree...

does this work for you?

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:19 PM   #2

Well, Vito, I have to be totally honest. It doesn't do a thing for me! I didn't really get much out of Barbara's post and I have no idea what you were trying to do here.

Sorry...that's my opinion for what it's worth!

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:21 PM   #3

It works for me, and quite well, too. If everyone thought like Cal, we'd never have known Picasso or Manet or Van Gogh. We also wouldn't have known Philippe Halsman or Duane Michals or Minor White, all three wonderful photographers who each pushed the envelope in their own ways.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:45 AM   #4

I don't know what you mean by Barbaras post but this most definately works for me. When the photo opened I leaned away from the computer. I was afraid I was going to get sucked into the vortex.
Very 'traveling through time' feel to this. Good job.

Suzan

edit; reading from the bottom up and finally got to Barbara's post. Duh.
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:00 AM   #5

Perhaps this is what a bee or bird sees as they fly throught the forest. Or perhaps what they see just before impact..... works well for me also.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:02 AM   #6

Vito, if you're interested in playing more with this technique, here are acouple clues about it that I got from one of my far-too-many photo books: it works best where the background is dark with bits of bright spots in it; try for a slow shutter by using the smallest aperture or by shooting when the light is dim.

You probably discovered the same thing I did, but just in case you didn't, take a few straight shots of the subject first so you can pick up the timing of the shutter and so know when you're already partway through the exposure but still have time to zoom. Use whatever mental device works best for you.Adrum beat, a ticking clock, simple numeric count, or whatever does it for you.

Gosh, but cameras are fun, aren't they?
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7

Vito and Barbara, I was out of line with my comments on yours and Barbara's pictures. I was too harsh with my comments, a failing in my personality. No offense was intended. I apologize to both of you. Although I don't care for the technique, I could have said it much more tactfully. I shot from the hip again. I try not to do this but sometimes I make comments that hurt someone and don't realize it.

You both have permission to get out the old 2x4 (brain adjustment tool!) and whop me over the head if you catch me doing it again.

Good Day
Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8

Ah, Cal, you're a good man. No 2-by-4 though. It would put outmy rickety old back. How about a Nerf noodle?