Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:45 AM   #1

When people started using Kodak's first cameras, they had to contend with circular pictures because the shape of the lens was right there. This was running through my son's mind while I was doinga study of photographers and their individual visions of trees (which led to the challenge). He stole my camera, added one of the lenses that requires that the fixed lens be zoomed completely in, and instead zoomed it right out, thus creating a photo akin to those that were once the rule:

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

Barbara, that is spectacular! The black circular border in combination with the BW picture adds a great deal of drama to the scene. The lighting and shadows also contributed to a great shot.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:01 AM   #3

Thank you from my son. He and I periodically go off on photographic toots together because we each see things the other does not. He has a wonderful facility for seeing light and shadow as if they had more substance than the things they delineate. I taught him to grow up, and now he teaches me to see. Great trade of services.:-)

--Barbara
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4

I'm not as impacted by the circuluarblack border sinceI get it a lot when I forget to properly adjust the circular polarizer on my cameraand getvignetting. I attribute it to "Old Timer's Disease".

The black and white plus the shadow of the tree is another thing. It just conjures up images of past old black and white horror movies with the trees walking menacingly.

Great job...

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:49 PM   #5

Ooh, Selvin! Please, no nightmares! :-)

A question for you though: can't you see through the lens that you're going to end up with unwanted vignetting?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 2:58 AM   #6

Barbara,

In the normal course of events yes, you can see the vignetting coming up. Unfortunately, what usually happens is, I whip out my camera as we are flying by some great scenic shot and I rapidly zoom out to get the full grandeur forgetting that vignetting starts at wide angle settings. Hit the button and then curse to myself, why did I do that... Old timer's disease.

Aloha

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 AM   #7

Aha! It's similar to my own little abnormality where I can't remember to look at the display telling me the current settings. When I've got the exposure compensation cranked up, I forget to uncrank it. Same problem when I have it turned down. We develop patience as we age, and it's a darned good thing, too.

--Barbara