Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old Apr 28, 2005, 10:15 AM   #1

Here is another of the pictures I took in fog at the Pittock Mansion in Portland, OR. I think this has kind of an Alfred Hitchcock look to it...almost spooky.

Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2

i'm with you on this one...
not particularly alfred hitchcock (it needs a dress for that ) but definetely spooky
this is a GREAT tree...perfect choice for a spooky fog shot
nice work cal
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Cal, I know you absolutely hate digital manipulation, but there'sthis one teensy thing wrong with this photo and it's sitting in the upper righthand corner. Maybe if you hold your breath while you do it, you could clone out those branch tips up there.

Fog photos aren't as easy to do as some might think. Great job (except for those wee branches:-)).

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:14 PM   #4

Barbara,

I'm like Cal but this is one time I agree with you those offending leaves -- clone or crop.

Cal, superb job.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:32 PM   #5

Barbara, I am not totally opposed to digital manipulations. I have been know on occasion (quite a few, in fact) to clone out something that doesn't fit or a blemish, etc.

Actually, I didn't even notice the leaves in the corner. I'll deal with them post haste!

Cal
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:45 PM   #6

I'll tell both of you a little secret: I've grown more and more adverse to digital doings. Crop, adjust contrast and white balance, a bit of dodging and burning, and other things that are all also part of the traditional darkroom, but I now feel that if much more is necessary, then I've failed. What made me finally see the light was that I'd begun spending more time fussing and fiddling in Photoshop than in getting out there and learning to take a decent photo in the first place.

So now there are at least three of us old sourpusses!

--Barbara
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:04 PM   #7

OK, the leaves are gone! I think I discovered a problem on Photobucket. I deleted the original image from Photobucket and posted a new one with the same name. However, Photobucket used the original image. I tried this three times with the same result. Consequently, I changed the filename and posted the edited picture and then corrected the link in my original post here.

Strange...

Cal
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:14 PM   #8

That's it. Nothing else needed.

Photobucket has begunallowing those pop-ups, the ones that I think are called pop-unders and that you don't realize are there until you've shut down your browser. I truly despise sneaky behavior and will be deleting my albums at the site.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:41 PM   #9

AH so you would be adverse to using the PhotoShop Fence Filter to remove that chain link fence then.

:blah::blah::blah:JUST KIDDING :blah::blah::blah:

Ya, I hate that sneaky pop up/under/anywhere stuff. Using FireFox as the browser insteadof IEseems to kill a lot of that annoying behavior. But if PhotoBucket is going to start doing that I think I will drop them as well.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:57 PM   #10

I have never seen the popups with Photobucket. Perhaps there are three reasons for it. First, I have a premium membership. Second, I use Netscape which has popup blocking. Third, I run Spybot frequently.

Cal