Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 1, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1

Hi,

I have fiddled with this poorpic in photoshop time and time again,the tree isamazing in real life,like a fluorescent "v"....

Canna.
Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2

Very interesting image. I like it the way it is, but can sort of see what you are after, I think. Iwould try selecting the tree trunks and then doing a diffuse glow action. Might light them up.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #3

Hi Canna,
I would really be interested in seeing what the original looked like. You indicated that you have done a lot of Photoshopping on this but I get the impression you are not happy with it.

To me, the two trunks look somewhat washed out or painted over. Was a flash used for the shot? The light on the trunks seems to be coming from directly in front. Also the edges on the trunks appear very hard, almost like they were copied from another photo. It is probably a result of the Photochopping. If I could see the original, I might better be able to make suggestions on how to improve it.

I think you've got a good basic picture but it has been edited too much. The composition looks good.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:17 AM   #4

Brian & Cal,

Thank you for your input - much appreciated!

Brian, I only can find a 'neon glow' setting (filters>artistic>neon glow), on my PSE2. I think there must be a glitch on it too, because it just makes the selected trunks go like white cut outs - whatever the settings I use. :? I think I have a couple of problems withPS at the moment... Many thanks for the idea though. I may try it again another time, when PS is back to normal.

Cal,

Please see the original below.... Pretty dire. Pointed and shot.

I have a Kyocera S5R digicam with fixed flash. I can use it on a tripod, & using the timer helps prevent camera shake, but there is no way of fixing on a lead foroff camera flash. I also have a large, very portable gold/white reflector...which I seldom carry, but maybe should. There are a few variables on the camera, that I could play around with....aperture priority 2.8 or 9.6.

I cando this pic. again within the next few weeks, this time with a tripod.

Canna.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 8:03 AM   #5

Canna, you might try shooting it with the flash turned off. That would make it easier to edit in Photoshop, if it needs it. I suspect it won't need much. If you can't turn the flash off, try covering it with your fingers.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:17 AM   #6

Upon seeing the original, my thoughts were the same as Cal's and I planned on speaking them--but he got there first.

Also, when you rephotograph the tree, try it from all different angles, even lying on your back and shooting upward. Sometimes it's the very last photo we take, doing itjust because we wantto fill up the memory card, that turns out to be The One. Don't ask me why. It's probably some mysterious rule of the universe.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:51 PM   #7

Many thanks folk. Will give it another bash!

Canna

Later: I finally did it - thanks Brian!
Attached Images