Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 2, 2005, 3:55 PM   #1

More Photoshop work with this than with the other one. Here, the mirror was held at an angle to the lens. The look of a page rolled along its edge fascinated me, so I copied it, flipped it, and matched the edges.

(Bet you guys looked, didn't you Cal and Selvin! And sorry that you did, too, right?!)

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

OK, Barbara. You know if there is a big red button with a sign that says "Don't push", it is human nature to push the button to see what happens. You also knew if I looked at the first picture I would look at this one, too. :blah:

I find this one intriguing (sp?). In color, I don't think it would work. However, in monochrome or sepia (which is monochrome) I think is does work. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's the sepia tone that seems to make it OK for this type of manipulation. Anyway, I like it.

Cokin makes a "flood" filter that somehow makes any object look like it is sitting in a pool of water. I think that would be interesting in sepia and even with your mirror technique applied. I haven't purchased that filter, yet, because I'm not sure how much I would use it.

Very Interesting...Nice work, Barbara. You weren't expecting that were you. As I said in response to another manipulated shot posted a couple days ago, I think my hard shell is starting to crack!

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:42 PM   #3

Actually, Cal, I don't think it's a matter of your starting to crack at all. I think that it's honesty you look for in photography, and I was downright honest about what I did here. You knew it was playfulness, knew I didn't take this photo seriously, knew I wasn't trying to delve into the meaning of life with it. The only thing I'm serious about here is that I appreciate your good words.

If you look at the photo, you'll see there was a lovely bit of serendipity that I couldn't have managed tocreate had I been trying. It's the way the hills match up so perfectly with the clouds in the background--the faded part and the sharp part. Absolute, unconditional, dumb luck.

--Barbara
Old May 2, 2005, 4:56 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
Cokin makes a "flood" filter that somehow makes any object look like it is sitting in a pool of water. I think that would be interesting in sepia and even with your mirror technique applied. I haven't purchased that filter, yet, because I'm not sure how much I would use it.
(Interrupted by a phone call, so I had to do my yakking in two parts.)

Special effects filters are a lot of fun to play with for a while and then they end up just sitting neglected in their case. I suspect this is what would happen if you bought the filter because your first love is straight photography. Some time ago, I toyed with the idea of buying a star filter but then realized I'd get pretty darned sick of stars after just a few photos.

--Barbara
Old May 2, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

Interesting. I've got a Cokin star filter and have never used it. However, that is mainly because I havent done much night shooting since I got it.

Cokin has an infrared filter (about $60) that I would really like to get. I've seen some of the infrared shots posted here and I realy like what I've seen. No, I wouldn't use it often, but once I learned how to use it and where it works best, I would be constantly on the alert for opportunities to use it. I haven't seen anything in PS or PSP that can create quite the same effect.

Well, it looks like I stole your thread. Sorry about that.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:24 PM   #6

You didn't steal my thread at all. I've been interested in infrared also, but every time I think about buying the filter, something else comes up and the money gets spent on that instead.

I almost bought one of those filters (can't remember what they're called) that... Oh yes, I think it's called a diffusion filter. Anyway, it turns out to be a lot more fun to smear Vaseline on a piece of glass and hold it in front of the lens.

Another thing I've done is stretch gauzeor nylon stocking over a small embroidery hoop. Standard screen effect.

I've got a large collection of square pieces of glass that I've put all kinds of things on to use as filters or screens. Great for a rainy day, and some of them actually work.:-)

--Barbara
Old May 2, 2005, 7:23 PM   #7

that's nuts barb!

pleeeeeease tell me you cropped this...rotated it..something...

the symmetry is unreal!

awesome :-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 8:03 AM   #8

Vito, the only thing awesome here is the fact that I didn't have to do any fine adjustments to get the cloud and the hill to match! Believe me, I was stunned when I spotted it!

--Barbara