Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 4, 2005, 8:18 AM   #1

This is the Shimanek Covered Bridge located near the town of Stayton, OR about 15 miles east of Salem.

Scanned 35mm negative. Nikon N70, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens (yes, the same lens I now use on my D100)

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 1:58 PM   #2

Beautiful bridge. Beautiful photograph too. Do you have any shots with a view through the bridge?

We never have anything like that in the UK. I wonder why they cover bridges like that in the US.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 2:43 PM   #3

Covered bridges are more photogenic than babies on bearskin rugs. Nice one, Cal.

Paul, as far as I know, bridges haven't been covered in many years. I believe it was done mainly in the areas of the country that sufferedwith snow and ice, the enclosing structure being built to keep the surface from turning dangerously icy. I could, of course, be wrong and if I am, someone is sure to let me (and you) know about it.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

Barbara, good answer but I think it is wrong. The main reason for covering them was to protect the heavy wooden structure from the elements and to prolong its life. I think prootecting the structure from direct sunlight was as important as rain and snow.

I do have some interior photos. I'll try to post a couple to this thread tonight.

Incidentally, there are about 80 covered bridges in the state of Oregon. I have photographed about 60 of them. There are a couple in Washington state and quite a large number in the Eastern US.

Cal
Old May 4, 2005, 3:34 PM   #5

calr wrote:
Quote:
Barbara, good answer but I think it is wrong.
Well, shoot.

Looking forward to the interior shots.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:27 PM   #6

Here are some interiors. These are not very good. I have a lot more but they are not scanned, yet.

The first shot is the Jordan bridge in Stayton, OR. This bridge sits in a city park and is not in service except for pedestrian traffic. The original Jordan bridge burned about ten years ago but the local citizens raised the money to reconstruct it. The original bridge was in another location and then moved to the park when it was taken out of service. This bridge has open sides.

The second shot is of the Gallon-House bridge near Silverton, OR. This bridge has solid side panels with vents at the top and bottom. This bridge is still used.

I have some interior shots of the Red Shimanek bridge but they are not scanned.

Cal Rasmussen
Old May 5, 2005, 7:33 AM   #7

A "good" shot is relative to its purpose. In these two cases, though the photos contain technical flaws, they serve admirably to show the construction of a covered bridge. I haven't seen such bridges since the last time I was in northern Vermont, which is one heck of a long time ago.

Thanks for posting these pictures, particularly for all those people who've never seen a covered bridge.

--Barbara