Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 6, 2005, 6:34 PM   #11

Thank you so much, Hards80. This is one of mymost-liked photos, but it's so hard to judge when my favorite personalso happens to bein it.

The things you describe are just as they were that day. Autumn, the sweet smell of fallen leaves, soft water sounds, afternoon slant of light. We found a number of different places, but this one held onto us for a long time. Months later, we still remember it as a magical day.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 7:24 PM   #12

That pic is beautifull, Barbara.

Wow, talk about contemplative. As Susan said, the symetry between you son and the opening is amazing, standing on one leg and tilting his head, gives roundness to the scene. That he wasn't posing is incredible.

The colors. I think looking at this photo is relaxing in itself, I don't feel forced nor even compelled to look at one point or another, rather, I simply 'do one with' it, like I could feel the coolness of the materials and water, and I'm wanting more of it.

I can only join my voice to those that scream 'print it and hang it' !
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 7:57 PM   #13

Wow, I'm sitting here actually blushing. It's so much easier to give compliments than it is to take them. If I were a little kid, I'd be hiding bashfully behind my mother.

As for unposed, it was, but in another way it wasn't. My son did get into precisely the position in which you see him, but in fear that he'd move, I called to him to hold for a moment. Essentially, it wasn't posed, but he was well aware that his picture was being taken. (He's one of those rare birds who love being photographed.)
Old May 9, 2005, 11:27 AM   #14

Hmmmm...A technically challenging composition to illuminate.

Bcoultry, you have succeeded admirably :-)

May I suggest that you submit this for Photo of the Day (as long as you get that photo release signed by your son, the subject :-)) :idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 12:45 PM   #15

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
May I suggest that you submit this for Photo of the Day
Aw, shucks. (Head bashfully down, shoe scuffling on sidewalk.)

Old May 9, 2005, 7:45 PM   #16

The colors in this picture are great. I need to borrow you for a weekend so you could help me with exposure. If I could just plug into your brain that would be good too. :idea:

I like the setting, the colors, and the feel.

If you would... can you link toa larger image. I would like to see it in detail. My eyes are getting old.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 3:48 PM   #17

The whopper-sized versionis sitting only on my hard drive, but I can certainly put you in the right direction with exposure. If the professionals need to do this, we amateurs surely need to do it: bracket! Take one photo as the camera thinks it should be done,another photo with slightly increased exposure, and then another with slightly decreased exposure.

If you're driven to investigate exposure further, do an online search for "Zone System." Ansel Adams was an incredibly meticulous man, and he worked out a system of tones running from pure black to pure white. Understanding this system along with understanding what the camera's meter is trying to do should give you a leg up.

Professionals get bad exposures too, so it would seem we're all in excellent company.

--Barbara