Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 4, 2005, 4:11 PM   #1

My son and I spent a day last fall searching for the places nobody but a child ever bothers to look at. We were particularly charmed by the undersides of tiny bridges, the kind on back roads that go over long-forgotten streams. In this one, I caught him contemplatingnothing in particular, which is one of the finer states of mind.

Attached Images

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 10:07 PM   #2

that's gorgeous!

lol, you asked john how he exposed his shot, now it's my turn...

how did you?!

it would be great in your living room

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 2:38 AM   #3

Very nice contemplative mood. Exposure is right on target.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 2:40 AM   #4

Really nice symetry here with the bridge opening and your son creating wonderful balance.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 7:46 AM   #5

Thanks all!

As for exposure, I just had to check the EXIF info to find out: spot meter (on my son), 1/160th of a second because anything lower shows my hand shake without a tripod, ISO 80 and f/2.0.

Looking at the other data, it seems I raised the exposure level a bit in the RAW file, doubtless because the background was underexposed. I definitely rememberusing Quick Mask on my son so I could work on the background without blowing out the highs on him. In the old darkroom days, masking was torture, but masking in Photoshop is so easy it feels like cheating.

--Barbara
Old May 5, 2005, 9:12 PM   #6

Great Photo Barbara,

I see more than just one bridge in this portrait if you will allow me to babble for a moment. I see the concrete bridge, I see a gap that you have bridged with your son that not a lot of parents can by having a great relationship and sharing a hobby with your child, I see your bridge to the future, immortality if you will, your actions of how you have raised your son will bridge generations. All of the things that I have tried to capture in the snapshots of my children you have done brilliantly here. Be proud, print it big and send the guys in the white coats my way.:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:05 PM   #7

awesome interpretation man!
:-D
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:05 AM   #8

I love it too!

Canna.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 8:17 AM   #9

GoCubs, you are no nuttier than all the rest of us parents! To create an entirely new human being is to create an entirely new world, and it leads to contemplations such as yours. Awesome in the traditional sense of the word. I'm so glad you found your own thoughts reflected in this photograph. I can't imagine a higher compliment, and I thank you.

--Barbara
Old May 6, 2005, 5:06 PM   #10
Super Moderator

barbara,
i love this shot.. i keep coming back and looking at it.. other than conveying some of the things mentioned by others ealier in the post.. i think it really sets a mood, i can almost imagine myself standing in your sons position, with the sound of water around me and the smells of backwoods creeks... brings me back to my childhood, where i grew up on a farm where we had many such little creeks with roads crossing over them.. awesome mood.. and great composition...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote