Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 6, 2005, 9:18 AM   #1

THE meeting place when I was young, it used to be littered with broken beer bottles and political graffiti ('Québec Libre'). It's now full of plastic baggies and 'urban art', so I guess the meetings still go on. :whack:

[align=center]
(Pont Papineau-Leblanc, Montréal, Canada. - Point&Shooter, PSP 'auto photo fix' and some sharpening.)[/align]
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2005, 9:56 AM   #2

I sat staring at this photo and then finally grabbed a piece of paper which, through the glories of static electricity, adhered tothe screen so I could see what cropping in from the left would accomplish. It created the no-no of a point resting directly on the left edge where the converging lines of the bridge meet, but I'll be darned if that didn't just make the picture for me.

Bringing out the wall "art"through a bit more color saturationand some burning in of the dark areas along with the above crop would make thisfine photo a total standout. My personal taste is, of course,just mine. What do the rest of you think?

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 5:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i too would of liked to have the bridge art stand out more.. for me that is what makes this picture.. maybe even taking a few steps to the left and making it landscape.. maybe not though..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 6:25 PM   #4

PaulPosition, I hope you don't think anyone is saying this is a bad picture. You see this kind of reaction when the photo really attracts. The seeming criticism is actually a form of cheering a person on.

--Barbara
Old May 6, 2005, 6:59 PM   #5

Oh, not at all. In fact, thanks Barbara.

I'm not sure I'm with you guys (and gals) on the cropping thing, I didn't really like the left cropped to the point of convergence, and a landscape would be impossible with my current camera (I was already at widest angle). Beside, it would only add a few trees into the foreground.

About bringing out the graffiti, I played a bit with saturation but stopped short of doing it. I loved the effect on the wall, but it made the whole seem so post-processed. I didn't want to apply it to only part of the image either.. Paintshopro is saving my pictures from ugliness, right, but I wanted a photo, not a photo-chop

Then again, maybe the solutions (and crop) I have in mind aren't even the ones your proposing... How would you, for instance, make the art stands out more (without having it look like it was painted yesterday)? I read you suggest burning the dark areas.. I never really understood burn/dodge tool, I'll have a look in the help file.

Hey, thanks again,
Old May 6, 2005, 8:17 PM   #6

Take into consideration that this fell apart a bit by being recompressed into a JPEG. What I did other than the obvious cropping was to add a slight bit of saturation to just the wall plus more contrast using levels--not brightness/contrast. Even with the added processing, I don't think it looks overdone. Naturally, this is no more than a reflection of my own taste, not the word from on high.:-)

Attached Images

Old May 9, 2005, 11:22 AM   #7

Hmmmmm...

Both takes hold an allure for me.

:-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:09 PM   #8

VERY nice!

the shot and the edit!

nicely seen man :-D

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 9:59 PM   #9

Well, thank you

Barbara, I like what you've done with the edit. While I still prefer the original format, the work on colours on the wall and (I guess) the lightening of the bridge structure gives more depth and pull the eye a bit further along (provided it stops looking at the wall). Not overdone at all, indeed!
Old May 11, 2005, 8:23 AM   #10

PaulPosition wrote:
Quote:
the work on colours on the wall and (I guess) the lightening of the bridge structure
Optical illusion. I didn't touch the bridge structure at all. Doubtless, the appearance of change is simply a result of contrast created by bringing out the wall "art." It's the same as the illusion of making a white look whiter be placing something black next to it.

--Barbara