Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 8, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

I don't know if I like this one yet.:-?
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2005, 1:09 PM   #2

Jane, I'm a railroad buff from way back so I always like to see railroad pictures. I think some different cropping might improve this picture. I think there is too much track at the bottom. If it were me, I would crop about half of the track at the bottom.

Where is this? It appears to be narrow gauge track. Perhaps an old mining track?

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 4:22 AM   #3

Cal,

In the center of the museum district here in town is a spawling park. On one side of it is the Zoo, on the other, the Japanese Gardens. This is a bridge for the train that takes visitors around the park to sightsee.

An old picture of the train, for you.

Old May 9, 2005, 4:29 AM   #4

Hi Jane,

I like the run in of the track as it is, I must admit.It looks like the sort of wonderful thing you might stumble across on long walk.

Canna
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 9:46 AM   #5

So far, you're outnumbered, Cal. I like the length of track just as it is too.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 10:33 AM   #6

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
I like the length of track just as it is too.
And me. But perhaps just a little shorter!

This goes to underline what I was trying to say in a recent discussion round here about 'critique'. Cropping in particular is a very personal issue. Inside most good shots are many other good cropped versions as well. My hard disk is full of differently cropped versions of all my favourite shots. I call in my family to ask their opinions (and then usually ignore them, because they fail to agree with me).

Only as a result of our recent discussions have I realised that I'm firmly on the side of seeing the wider context, except where there's a single imposing object. However, this is a matter of personal judgement, not of technique, and I acknowledge that many people will want to "go for it", and zoom right in. When you view images on screen, you can zoom to taste, of course. We do this routinely in our family when viewing the holiday snaps, huddled round a screen.

Of course there's no reason why we shouldn't postBOTH a wide & a tight crop, is there, as some folk do?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 3:34 PM   #7

Now wait a second. You guys are confusing me. I was reading a book one day about perspective shots. The author was discussing what happens when you use different lens on the same subject. I found a perfect oppertunity to play with my new telephoto. Correct me if I'm wrong but the use of a telephoto gives the appearance of tracks being longer than what they are. I wasn't standing that far from the bridge. The tripod was low and I used the vanishing point perspective to make them appear long. In other words, I wanted the tracks to appear as if they went on forever. With a wide angle this would have looked... different. Hmmmmm

Well... I guess it worked... I'm not certain nowbecause I didn't take a wide angle shot.
Old May 9, 2005, 4:00 PM   #8

We're all pretty much amateurs here, and we're all quite full of our own opinions, so here's what you do when none of us can make up our minds: trust your own opinion. Yours is just as valid.

Another choice is to do this :blah:to all of us. Sometimes that works better.

--Barbara with a :-)on her face
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:32 PM   #9

What I think? I think it's a good picture for the spot. It's slightly problematic. And I got to use my new lens which was fun. I'm still not certain I like this picture. But it's because I have 800 million others that seem to resemble this one in some weird way.

SO in other words....:blah:
Old May 9, 2005, 10:03 PM   #10

hey jane :-D

the longer the focal length, the more "compressed" the photo will appear 'depth' wise...if you take a picture of a forest with a long focal length, it'll look like the trees are all stacked up on top of each other..

as with a wide angle, they will all look far apart..

i think this image needs something, i think a person walking in the top left, or a fox jumping over the tracks..

something to hold as the 'focal point'..

nice work

keep them coming :-D

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote