Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 13, 2005, 8:55 PM   #1

In the challenge thread, Barbara interpreted the challenge as a very broad subject with MANY interpretations. I have a reputation for stepping outside the box. Here I go again.

As you know, the control station of a ship is called the bridge. It is an enclosed space with lots of windows so the crew can see where they are going. On either side of the bridge is a platform that extends out to or past the side of the ship. These platforms allow bridge crew personnel to step outside and be able to see the entire side of the ship. This is necessary when docking or departing. These platforms are called the bridge wings. Often, there are remote controls on the wings to maneuver the ship from outside.

This picture is NOT of a ship! It is nowhere near any navigible water! It is NOT of a bridge! This is an apartment building! The thing that caught my attention about this building is the group of balconies that look like guess what, bridge wings. That one at the top has really got a fantastic view.

Shot about two weeks ago in the Pearl District of North Portland, OR. Nikon D100, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens, hand-held.
Are you ready?
Almost there...

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 9:10 PM   #2

there you go man :-D
good thinking :-D

it took me a while to get a mental picture of a 'bridge wing' of a boat...but i can now see it in your image :-D

nice work stepping out of the box :-D
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 9:31 AM   #3

Nothing like stepping outside the box to discover that it was an artificial thing to begin with. A bridge is a lot more thana passage over river, road, or gully. You just proved that particular point, Cal. Nice.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:19 PM   #4

Thanks Barbara and Vito. I actually shot this about a week before the bridge challenge was announced. It was only after our discussion of the interpretation of the challenge subject that it occured to that I could tie this photo in.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote