Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 15, 2005, 9:09 AM   #11

You've got some really great shots there. I am really intrigued by the first two. It took me awhile to realize that I was seeing reflections in the pictures, but how. It looks like you were out on a deck, shooting past the corner of a glassed in room but the orientation of the bridge seems to preclude that. The second thought is that you were inside, in the corner of a glass enclosed room. The reflections of lights in the room seems to support that theory, but the orientation of the bridge is still troubling.

So....How did you shoot the first two pictures?

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 1:40 PM   #12
Mag

calr wrote:
Quote:
You've got some really great shots there. I am really intrigued by the first two. It took me awhile to realize that I was seeing reflections in the pictures, but how. It looks like you were out on a deck, shooting past the corner of a glassed in room but the orientation of the bridge seems to preclude that. The second thought is that you were inside, in the corner of a glass enclosed room. The reflections of lights in the room seems to support that theory, but the orientation of the bridge is still troubling.

So....How did you shoot the first two pictures?

Cal Rasmussen
Ill try to explain the best i can, im a lil confused myself. I was just outside the entrance under a large overhang. The outside of the building is glass, but inside the building about 3 feet or so is another wall/room that 3ft distance is what appears to be an isle way around the outside that room. I havent been in the building yet. The orange glowing reflection near top is coming from a window/display in the inner room. If you look real close you can see the isle insideon bottom left. The first red light on the left is on the bridge seen through corner and2 sections of glass. What really baffles me is the 1 small tree that glows orange on top, it almost looks like its inside but that doesnt make sense to me either. Next time i go back im gonna bring these pictures and take a better look when its lighter out.

Thanks alot for comments and viewing Cal

Thank you too Bob, It is nice being fairly close to the Mac looking forward to more shots in the future.

Best regards,

Mag

Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 6:29 PM   #13
Super Moderator

great shots, my particular favorite was the underneath one, i think it was #4.. with the fog obscuring its true vanishing point, it looks like it could go on forever..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 12:43 AM   #14

Hi Mag,

Well done yet again! Great pix.

2,4, & 8 are ones that really do it for me. The under-the-bridge shot is very powerful -like a sculpture, and that water looksdeep frostedglass.

Very nice.

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:19 AM   #15

awesome stuff man!
fascinating play of reflections in the first one (it's confusing too..because you can see through the window a little bit!)

the one shot underneath is my favorite too!
you have an awesome spooky feel going, strengthened by the fog, neverending bridge, and the reflections on the soft water

awesome :-D
Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 1:11 AM   #16
Mag

Canna W wrote:
Quote:

Hi Mag,

Well done yet again! Great pix.

2,4, & 8 are ones that really do it for me. The under-the-bridge shot is very powerful -like a sculpture, and that water looksdeep frostedglass.

Very nice.

Caroline.
Thank you Caroline, Ive been having alot of fun experimenting with long shutterspeeds and water, i like the effect alot. #4 was 5 second shutterspeed @ f/8 needs to be fairly dark and a tripod is a must of course.

Best regards,

Mag
Old May 17, 2005, 1:15 AM   #17
Mag

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
awesome stuff man!
fascinating play of reflections in the first one (it's confusing too..because you can see through the window a little bit!)

the one shot underneath is my favorite too!
you have an awesome spooky feel going, strengthened by the fog, neverending bridge, and the reflections on the soft water

awesome :-D
Vito
Thank you vito, I didnt even realize the reflection were so wild tell i got home.

Any tips on exposing in overcast and or fog? Or spot metering tips?

Best regards,

Mag
Old May 18, 2005, 8:28 AM   #18

haha, i dunno you need metering tips these look perfectly exposed to me!

if i remember correctly, from photo books, you meter the fog, and open up a stop (add a stop of exposure)..

i think that's right i think snow is up to two stops..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 6:45 PM   #19

My favorite is #6, Mag.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 11:14 PM   #20
Mag

Plain Jane wrote:
Quote:
My favorite is #6, Mag.
Thank you Jane, I enjoyed taking it very much :-)

Best regards,

Mag