Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 19, 2005, 4:47 AM   #1

I'd alreadytoyed with these images for the Challenge, but decided it wasn't really a bridge. But inspired by the similarity to pictures of the Interstate lifting bridge, I've decided on a quick late entry. This is Anderton Lift Lock which connects the River Weaver and the Trent & Mersey Canal at Northwich, Cheshire, UK, with a 60 foot lift. It opened in 1875, closed due to corrosion (across the river is a salt works) in 1983, and reopened in 2001 after a 7 million UKpound restoration programme.

It consists of two huge counterbalanced bathtubs, each weighing 250 tons, into which boats can be sailed, raised and lowered by hydraulic rams. (Curiously the new hydraulics are from the same peoplewho did the hydraulics for the lifting stage in Wagner's theatre in Bayreuth, Germany: See my "Valhalla" rainbow bridge entry.)

General lo-res view:

View showing gears & pulleys used from 1908 to 1983, when operated electrically:

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2005, 5:13 AM   #2

As you can see, I can't get the syntax right for image insertion using "img" tags. I've done this recently for putting images alongside each other, but I can't remember how I did it. Now I just get a (working) link instead.

Please could some nice moderator tell me what to do, and/or fix it for me?
Old May 19, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3

Alan, I'm not sure what is going on. I did a copy/paste of the entire image string from your post and here is the result. Since I can't edit your post (not yet, anyway...) I suggest you go into edit mode and highlight the entire string including the "img" tags, cut, and paste it back in. and see if that works.

I use Photobucket to host my pictures and they generate the link string automatically. I just do a copy of the string on Photobucket and paste it here.

Incidentally, posting multiple pictures vertically is preferable to side-by-side. It makes for easier viewing.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

calr wrote:
Quote:
I did a copy/paste of the entire image string from your post and here is the result.
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I've tried all the syntax variations I can think of, but I just finish up with a link that works, and not an embedded image. I'm pretty sure I've seen an authoritative statement about this issue here recently, but I can't find it.
CalR wrote...

>Incidentally, posting multiple pictures vertically is preferable to side-by-side. It makes for easier viewing<

I agree in general, but I specially wanted the side-by-side layout of two tall, thin pictures to make Barb clutch her pearls more tightly.

Keep a tight grip on your treasures for the next 2 weeks,

Alan T

Old May 19, 2005, 12:25 PM   #5

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
I agree in general, but I specially wanted the side-by-side layout of two tall, thin pictures to make Barb clutch her pearls more tightly.
My dear man, if I clutch the pearls any tighter everything willcome unstrung. The most recenttightening involved the revelation that, ifI read the directions,I can find answers.(Who knew?)However, what does one do when one can't find any directions at all?Can we post two photos that sit on our hard drives and put them both in the same message?A second revelation is sought.

B.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 1:24 PM   #6

This will work:

1, Place the two Photos side by side in your image editor (PS, PSP, PHOTOSUITE, etc).

2, Save as a single image.

3, Upload the combined image.

I subscribe to another forum that has a three image per day limit and have seen this method used to beat the rule.

Bill
BillD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 2:12 PM   #7

BillD9 wrote:
Quote:
This will work:

1, Place the two Photos side by side in your image editor (PS, PSP, PHOTOSUITE, etc).......
Yes, thanks, this would have worked fine for my two side-by-side images, but it won't work if I want to interpose a bit of text between the two images, as here.

I *know* there's a solution to this because I've done it recently, but I can't find the relevant messages that told me how to do it!
Old May 19, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8

well...i edited your post...

cuz i'm thirsty for power :-p

and for some reason, the BBcode didn't work (even though this is a wowBB forum :?)

you had a space in between the code and the link...but when i took it out, it didn't fix it,

you have to use the image button up top, and without hitting enter, using it again..

i think the steves posting box is a bit too high tech to type in the codeyourself.., since it's 'what you see is what you get'...:-p

very nice work with the shot
the person you have in there adds fantastic scale!

nice shot!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 2:39 AM   #9

Thanks very much, Vito.

Alan T