Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Biweekly Shoot Out

Old May 20, 2005, 3:06 PM   #1

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 3:26 PM   #2

I'm not sure what I am looking at, here. It looks like it might be a terrarium with painted seashells. I am guessing, Fiddler Crabs? The lighting and angle of the shot are not too good. Can you get a higher angle by using a chair or stool to stand on? Also, is there any way you can cut down the glare from the window. If you exposed in auto, the window glare caused the rest of the shot to be dark.

Now, maybe I am totally wrong. If so, there is egg on my face and perhaps you can explain what this is.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 2:48 AM   #3

OK... no I can not reproduce this. It was taken in a shop about 60 miles or more from me. I doubt they would have taken kindly to the request of a chair. hehe

It was the worst day ever. Dreary, nasty, bright, glare was everywhere. Off the window, offthe sidewalks, and off the water which is directly through the window.... I tried to put in a call to God but I think he was busy. *scratches her head*

Don't be so harsh, Cal. Just think of all the fun you could have letting those hermit crabs loose. :blah:

I still like this photo even though it's a dud. You might even say, I treasure it.

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 7:55 AM   #4

I understand, Jane. I been in those situations, myself, where the only way to get the photo was technically wrong in every respect. In those cases you do what you have to do to document the scene. I empathize with your situation in this case.

Also, it occurred to me, after posting my reply, that it was Hermit Crabs, not Fiddler Crabs, that I meant. There is a kiosk in the local mall that sells these critters. As with your picture, many of the shells are painted bright colors, some with patterns or pictures on them. I am not sure I could keep one of these animals but they are interesting to watch.

Cal
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 9:41 AM   #5

very cool!

really tough light..but you've done well..

the reflections on the glass give it a 'slice of life' feel to it..

i'd probably want a bit more on the left, to show that sign too

nice work in a tough situation!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 12:44 AM   #6

I like the'clicked on the hoof' qualityof this pic a lot ,& think it adds to the atmosphere, which is very strong here.

I spent ages looking for the crabs - then thanks to Cal's second posting realized where they were. Good grief!!!!

I really like this pic.

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:57 AM   #7
Mag

I like all the different shells that make a crabs home in this shot, im partial to the smiley faces, way cool! The sign adds alot to the photo also.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote